1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acer clones of Optoma

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Lomax, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Lomax

Lomax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dunno if you're aware but Acer are currently selling what seems to be re-branded versions of the Optoma H30 and H56 projectors for roughly half the price of the originals!

I recently bought a H30 and was stunned to find a seemingly identical machine at Dixons Heathrow but branded with Acer's name and at an incredible price. The specs look identical but I cannot say anything about picture quality as I haven't tested any of them.

The models are Acer PD112 (H30) at around £700 and Acer PD721 (H56) at around £1.500.

Thought you might like to know...

2. fama

fama
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    wow this would mean if it was a clone
    it would be equivalent to US optoma price
    the high Uk price was putting me off
    Im not technical but looking at specs
    they seem the same
    would someone have alook at these
    acer site doesnt mention speed or segs of color wheel as i can see
    damn i just bought a X1
    PIXMANIA have the acer under £700

3. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    ....and it's probably what they're more realistically worth.

4. Lomax

Lomax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ekko, are you saying you don't think these projectors are the same (as good) as the Optoma ones or that the Optomas are overpriced?

5. booth1976

booth1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Does that include the 3 year 'hot' swap out warranty that the H30 & H56 come with?

If it includes this it's a bargain.

Oh and the little carry bag the H30 comes with is sweet!

6. Lomax

Lomax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. sconie

sconie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't find a review for this anywhere, surely somebody has bought one and can tell us if it is as good as the Optoma.

8. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    The Optoma's are overpriced for what they are. Not a fan of their PJ's and could never whole heartedly recommend them to anyone. Seems the Acer prices reflect more accurately the true ability of the Projectors IMHO.

9. seasider

seasider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can download the user manual from this link - it may be useful for techies or someone with an H30 for comparison. It doesn't mention speed or segments but does confirm that it takes prog scan and (for the benefit of booth1976) does come with a "luxurious" carry bag (though I can't confirm how sweet it is).

http://support.acer-euro.com/faqs/index.html?per_pro_list.inc

10. alan5757

alan5757

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
  11. Lomax

Lomax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :oops:

Also, the PD112 has different on-screen menus to the H30... So they probably aren't the same...

12. alan5757

alan5757

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
  13. ntslik

ntslik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The H30 and ACER PD112 are different. Optoma do the 732 which is a data
    projector, the same as the PD112. Both the ACER and 732 will
    use a 4 segment colour wheel and are 1300 ANSI. Optoma's 732 would also be a similar
    price to the ACER.

There's nothing free in this life, there are specific reasons to pricing of products, just out of interest Ekko Star, what projector do you have, and why do you not like Optoma's

14. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
  15. ntslik

ntslik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Not sure what the link means, is there a hidden agenda??, I can't praise the Optoma projectors enough and Optomas Service, you only need to see the reviews and the amount of customers who do demo and buy, but i'm not sure what you are expecting as you seem to slate the Optoma's in general but never make any comparisons.

You state thay have a bad picture, but compared to what??

16. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    You sell the Optoma's and Themescenes don't you ? That is a clear and transparent enough 'agenda' for many....

If you read the link properly, I don't slate the Optoma's in general, in fact I gave this thing a proper demo with a view to buy. 'Bad' picture is a bit simplistic a criticism and not a description I would make. If they produced a PJ that I liked I would shortlist them, period. And I have actually said that some people may like this PJ so it maybe worthwhile demo'ing it, in actual fact I have never said DO NOT demo this product.

At the Acer prices the Pj's warrant an interest. It's interesting that rebadging the same product as Themescene or Acer wipes £££'s off an identical Optoma isn't it ? Speaks volumes to me and many prospective buyers I would have thought. The sensitivity behind any constructive criticism of their product also says something.... ;)

17. ntslik

ntslik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    OK OK Ekko Star, have we had a marraige breakdown or something

I didn't say you had, it's just that you seem to have a lot of bad things to say but no comparisons, if you don't like the H56's pic to what were you comparing it to to make that judgement, all i'm saying is that a demo on a few, do some comparisons.

Are you telling me that the new H77 is going to be a stonking projector, or do you just have a hidden agenda against Optoma,

you not an ex-Optoma dealer are you????

18. seasider

seasider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think you're being a little harsh (Ekko Star) in criticising ntslik just because he happens to sell a product he's defending. I couldn't help but notice that, on the link you directed us to, you stated "I dread to think what the H30 must be like" which tends to imply that you haven't seen it. Whilst I accept that you may have a problem with the H56 (and DLP in general? - I don't want to put words in your mouth) there must be a conspiracy that goes far beyond ntslik that includes such luminaries as Projector Central and What HiFi (OK, you can ignore What HiFi) for these projectors to continue to receive such glowing praise.

I also think that the final conclusion of the thread is that the Acer PJs spotted are not the same as the H30 and H56 and hence the price comparison is irrelevant.

And no, I don't own an Optoma.

19. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    seasider,

Hi and welcome to the forums.

I guess the real issue here is that Ekko Star is being challenged for expressing his opinion of a product (based on his experience of having it demo'ed) by someone who sells that product and uses the forum to promote their products and business. It's fairly clear who has the vested interest here.

In the same thread (see the link above) as expressing his opinion, Ekko Star gave the advice that all "regulars" would give - go and see a demo of the projectors you are interested in. Most people express their opinions of stuff they've seen and challenge/discourse is part of the value and enjoyment of the forums, but being challenged by a retailer who has a vested interest in promoting the particular brand being discussed is unusual.

Sean G.

20. ntslik

ntslik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Theritz, I always maintain to stay unbiased, if the Optoma projectors were of such poor quality I wouldn't be promoting them nor selling them, I can hardly not defend the products I sell, their quality and features are the only reason why I sell them.

But you will also notice on this Forum I never actively put any other products down, it's far more constructive to give my own point of view, and I personally love the Themescene range, support it fully and can not praise Optoma's back up enough, but what I find a bit odd is when someone continues to make bitter remarks about a product range, of which has not all have even been seen, this to me spells hidden agenda.

21. seasider

seasider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I absolutely agree with Ekko Star (and indeed anyone else) expressing his opinion on a product that he's reviewed (such as the H56) but my point was more in regard to his comment on the H30 (that he hasn't). It doesn't necessarily follow that because a company makes one product that you dislike then everything will be the same (and indeed vice-versa). I can also accept that a retailer isn't always the last bastion of honesty and integrity but it equally doesn't follow that they are necessarily biased towards a product they sell as, on the presumption that they're independent, they could always sell something else if they didn't rate a particular PJ (unless they've bought a job lot, but that's a whole new issue).

I also agree wholeheartedly in your comments on demonstrations. I'm spending a couple of hours this week with a budget DLP and a budget LCD to see which I prefer (which hasn't been easy to set up. Bloody retailers. Always going on about how great some dog awful product is that their selling, just because it's in stock. I'd ban them from the forums...).

Having said all that, I think we may have gone off on a tangent here. The original thread was whether someone had found an H30-clone for £650 which, regardless of views as to whether the H30 is worth £1200, had to be good news (I bet even Ekko Star might concede that it's a bargain for £650). Since it appears that we haven't, we can all go back to looking at the dollar prices and sulking.

22. stubie_do

stubie_do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Ekko Star,

You are clearly a fanatical lover of Panasonic and Sony products judging by all the good comments you have made in previous threads on this forum and lets not forget that everyone is entitled to their own opinions. As I say “its all subjective”.

However, some of the comments that you have made on this thread are inaccurate and misleading to any potential projector customer whether they be future Infocus, Optoma, Sharp or SIM customers. I would not want someone to buy a projector on the basis that someone has indicated that they are the same as another manufacturer but cheaper. :nono:

The specifications can easily be found on the Internet and other forum members have already come up with the answers.

I think that you have made it clear here and on previous postings that you are not an avid fan of our products and no doubt you will be expressing your own opinions after you have seen the H77, RD50 and RD65. Please make contact with me if you are unsure of certain information for future postings, alternatively see you at the show in November. :)

All I can say here is go and see an H56 or H30 for yourself and make your own mind up.

“Its All Subjective” (IMHO)

23. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Neil,

I have no wish to be antagonistic here... :D , but "unbiased", without quoting various dictionaries etc. means "impartial" or "showing lack of favouritism". I think you'll have to agree that neither of these words could fairly be said to apply to you - by your own hand.......

... you clearly are promoting one brand.

I note your comment about the fact that you don't comment adversely on other projectors, but you might understand that the lack of remark or observation on any brand other than the one you are selling could hardly be called balanced comment.

As for challenging the views expressed by other members, you clearly are in a particular position.... this forum is sponsored by Themescene, your company is a sponsor of the forum in general, and your belief in the product is on the record.

I think you might agree that without the contending opinions of members the forum would be a far less valuable and interesting place..... I'm sure that Ekko Star can respond on his own behalf.

Sean.

24. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Just spotted Stuart Acey's post....... (stopped to eat while posting :blush: )

Stuart,

Your advice is excellent.....

... and not too different to that offered by Ekko Star..............

The current range of projectors available from many manufacturers, Optoma included, no doubt, are superior to the candidates available to most of us who got into digital projectors in the last few years. Performance in terms of contrast and colour fidelity have improved, while old bugbears such as the various artifacts which can affect either LCD or DLP remain to a greater or lesser extent depending on what one chooses. While both LCD and DLP (other than at the very top end of the market, I guess) continue to have various issues associated with their technologies, prospective buyers can chose from a range of projectors from either technology at reasonable prices in relation to the product they are getting.

Sean.

25. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Really? From your first 3 posts......

Seems a pretty general slating of Optomas to me :D

26. stubie_do

stubie_do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Sean,

Your paragraph is spot on, nice one but I know Neil at Audiovision also stocks, promotes and sells other manufacturers projectors on the forums not just ThemeScene. Maybe he sell more ThemeScene than anyone else’s :thumbsup:. Only he knows.

Whats for pudding?

27. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Excellent post (#23) TheRitz, very well said.

The promotion of product on the forums is not confined to Neil by any stretch though - I just love those "info-mercials" that crop up everytime a new product gets released! See how many you can spot folks!

Which reminds me, I need some more snake-oil :rotfl:
    Paul

28. stubie_do

stubie_do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Paul,

I'm not to sure what you mean, it must have past me by. ;)

Regards

29. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,027
    EkkoStar

01. I am a dealer.

02. I sell the odd ThemeScene model.

03. Stuart would prefer if I sold more of them :)

04. Did the Unidisk equipped dealer comment on why they were demonstrating such a duff projector?

05. Have you considered that what you viewed was not representative of what owners of the H56 are 'seeing' at Home.

06. What software was the Unidisk running?

I've seen (and heard) plenty of kit that looked decidedly ropey in dem rooms and only after further investigation found out why - technical problem, lamp fault, lack of compatibility, cable or set up fault.

For me the H56 produces a very 'liveable with' image that more than surpasses most customers expectations when they are looking to spend around £1K on a Home Theatre projector - my 'personal' issue with the H56 being I see the Rainbows on this and most every DLP I've used.

Possibly a rematch with an H56 is in order as you do seem to be so at odds with most everyone who's viewed one - I don't mean everyone will definitely buy one as soon as they see it working but most folk have not had such a bad viewing experience as you seem to have had.

And just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons I don't agree that everyone has to go for a demo - its not practical for everyone to do so and if everyone went to 'see' the demo you had would the guys who have posted and are more than happy with their H56 have made a purchase!!!

Best regards

Joe

30. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Joe,

Can understand that..... demo facilities over here are fairly hard to come by, usually awful (with a few notable exceptions). Guess who bought a HS10 unseen - the first on these forums....... ;) :hiya: ...Kramer !!

The advice to go and see stuff is my usual caveat when people (usually newcomers, first time buyers,) ask the "What should I buy" question - one persons meat being another persons fowl etc.

I would be reluctant to buy a projector unseen, and that's from a background of having owned my own for two years, and having had the privilege of demoing other members projectors in my own movie room. I was ready to pull the trigger on a 720 LCD projector last month but was dissuaded by a demo...... and will probably end up in the UK to view a replacement unless I can persuade a supplier here to lend me a demo unit to try in my own environment (or get a member with that particular model to pay me a visit...), in the absence of suitable demo facilities...

I understand your point of view, but would stick by my own advice based on experience - I could hardly suggest that someone "buy XY projector" without seeing it in circumstances where I wouldn't do it myself. Retailers are in a slightly different position insofar as they might be able to offer a "swap" option, depending on their own marketing policies/strategies.

Sean.

Stuart,

Pavlova........... Strawberries (from the garden)....... Cream.. Mmmm. :blush:

S.