1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acer AT3201W Sound +Fan question

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Briggsyuk, Apr 8, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Briggsyuk

Briggsyuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, im a relative TV newbie to most of you guys, I tend to spend the majority of my wages on PC stuff not Home Cinema stuff, and anyway I have read these forums for sometime for advice but never registered… :hiya:

I am considering purchasing a LCD TV for the first time as my old fitful Philips Blackline S is on its last legs after 5 years. (There is now a blue tint to everything on screen)

The problem I have is the fact that some LCD’s I have noticed have cooling fans. Now I cannot stand fan noise, I have even spent about £900 sound proofing my computers.
    How laud are the fans in LCD TV’s (in dBa). And does anyone know the speed of the fans in RPM for the Acer AT3201w?

Thanks in advance. :lease:

2. chrisdual

chrisdual
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have purchased one of these from DABS at the £800 offer price and they are exceptional quality - the pricture is almost too bright and the progressive picture is breathtaking - at this price almost a steal. Inevitably, there is a downside and that is the fan - I find it noticeable but my other half doesn't. It has the usual moving air sound which cannot be got round, but the fan also gives a whine which I suspect is the bearing or motor - however it is only a standard fan and is held in the back of the panel with 4 cross-head screws and looks to have a standard power connector so I am currently braving the screwdriver over the next few days and looking for an ultra quiet version.

3. OxfordJohn

OxfordJohn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The fan is a 70mm x 15mm unit from Delta (www.delta.com.tw) – Part Number AFB0712LB.
    The catalogue claims 2800 RPM, 1.4 W, 23 cfm, 26.5 dB-A at 1m.

As quiet 70mm fans seem a bit rare, I think I’ll go for a thermistor controlled 80mm unit. Probably an Ixtrema (11 to 14 dB-A) from Kustom PC as they also do a 70mm to 80mm adaptor. (Maybe not the most elegant solution but I don’t spend much time looking at the back of the box.)

Also the connector doesn’t seem to be anything standard, more sub-miniature – 2pins and keyed. Perhaps from a notebook?

4. tarball

tarball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With a thermistor controlled fan would this alter the speed of the fan or just switch it off and on?

Also, if the fan is changing speed (or being switched on and off) wouldn't this be more noticable than a consistant fan noise?

5. tcp/ip

tcp/ip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I have this screen also and the quality is amazing however I would like to quite the fan down. Has anybody attempted this yet or does anybody reckon there is an engineers menu to slow the fan speed down

6. pc99

pc99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Did anyone get around to doing anything about the fan noise?

I experimented with removing the fan and monitoring the temperature, but it quickly rose so I decided to reconnect the fan.

The noise is annoying. It's actually louder than my Sanyo Z2 projector.

I may have to tak the plunge myself with a DIY fan upgrade if no-one else has tried it yet.

7. tcp/ip

tcp/ip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Yeah people somebody must have some input on this help would be great

8. tcp/ip

tcp/ip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    What about this one I think I might go ahead and try it, what do people think

9. pc99

pc99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well,

I ordered a Silenx thermister 80mm fan (quoted at 14dBa max) and a 70mm-80mm adaptor. They have arrived today.

So I'll fit them in the next day or two and report back my findings.

10. tcp/ip

tcp/ip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    that would be great can you post a link to where you bought the fan from and how u got on fitting it

11. pc99

pc99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I bought the fan and adaptor from http://www.kustompcs.co.uk
    as mentioned by Tarball earlier in this thread.

I fitted them both last night and I am pleased with the result. The level of sound has dropped dramatically, and you can now only hear it if you very close.

12. Dr Gixxer

Dr Gixxer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would be great with some pics with the results if possible :thumbsup:

13. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
  14. pc99

pc99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That fan might be better, but it would still stick out a bit as the original fan is only 15mm deep. It's also not as quiet as the fan I bought unless you lower the speed, which would reduce the airflow.

15. Dr Gixxer

Dr Gixxer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, it would be nice to see the results :smashin:

16. pc99

pc99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It's not pretty to look at, but then it's all round the back.

I'll take a pic when I get the chance.

17. pc99

pc99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok here's a pic.

Attached Files:

18. Dr Gixxer

Dr Gixxer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  19. OxfordJohn

OxfordJohn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice to see that I’m not the only fool to try this. ;)

2 observations:
    My experience so far suggests that the thermistor control is redundant. The fan is up to full speed within about 15 minutes of switching on and stays there.

The aesthetics can be marginally improved with a hot air blower. The plastic 70mm to 80mm adapter is a little too large to fit into the space occupied by the original fan – the corners will go in but the base of the adapter is circular and extends beyond the corners. Gentle warming each side in turn, with a hot air gun, and ‘remodelling’ by pressing against a scrap bit of wood can make it square. The adapter now goes 15mm further in and provides a better air seal too.

20. brakepad

brakepad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Top tip OxfordJohn! The fan noise is the only thing putting me off this TV but fitting a quieter fan is clearly possible (although presumably it prevents you wall mounting it?).

I'm also a little concerned why this TV needs a fan and most(?) other don't. Having seen how much cr*p builds up inside a PC in 6 months it won't be long before all the components have nice insulating layer of dust on them anyway. If the fan were rigged to blow into the TV (which it may well do already) it would definitely benfit long term from having a washable air filter on the upstream side.

How hot do these things get anyway compared to TV without fans? Is the fan completely unnecessary?

Where have you located the thermistor?

21. pc99

pc99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Excellent tip OxfordJohn, I shall definitely try modifying the adaptor bracket.

The TV definitely needs a fan. With it I get a fairly constant temperature after about 30 minutes or 38C. Without the fan the temperature reached 47C after 10 minutes, at which point I decided to turn it off and re-attach the fan. :)

22. pc99

pc99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, I have modified the bracket with a hot air blower and it definitely fits more snugly now.

I recommend this to everyone, it fixes the biggest flaw in the design of this TV.

Now all I need is to find some discrete remote codes for power and input selection for my pronto.

23. chrisdual

chrisdual
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fantastic info guys - sorry I havent been contributing but time pressures etc. I have tried most things with fan itself and almost given up until I remembered this thread I think I started!

PC99 and others thanks for your bravary and a true result.

awesome screen for the price and xbox in progressive takes some beating.

24. stycronk

stycronk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Howdy - just looking at the fitting for the Delta fan - it looks like a two pin type connection - how have you connected the new fan - I assume it comes with a standard 3 or 4 opin connector ?

25. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    just how noisy is this set? Can it be heard over the sound coming from the speakers at normal volume?

26. pmwhelan

pmwhelan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Can the TV be wall mounted with the Silenx Fan attached?

Also are there gaps at the side if you take the speakers off? Are the totally detachable?

Thanks
    M

27. brakepad

brakepad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have one of these TV's by the way, but I don't really see how you can wall mount it even with the standard fan without severely restricting the ability of the fan to draw air through the set.

On a related note, Silenx fans have a bit of a reputation for not living up to their performance figures and being overpriced (see www.silentpcreview.com ). My point being twofold, that :

a) for the same flow rate & rpm you can probably find a cheaper fan than the Silenx (may need running through a resistor to reduce the voltage) that will be just as quiet. The Nexus range have a very good reputation, despite on paper looking much worse than the Silenx range.

b) you may be able to just add an inline resistor to the existing fan, thus reducing the speed and noise at the cost of reducing the air flow rate slightly. However, if the in-built fan has inherently noisy bearings then this approach will not help.

Additionally, judging from the (rather crude) diagram in the instruction manual for this TV, the 'grill' that covers the fan looks very restrictive which will only hinder airflow and cause more noise. If anyone does try sticking with a 70mm fan, it might be worth replacing the cover with a different fan guard.

28. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Well I think I may just go with one of these as previously stated http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_2508.html don't like the idea or look of the 80mm to 70mm converter, can't seem to find a deep enough fan guard though they are all flush fitting.

29. stycronk

stycronk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies fro teh electronic ignornace, but how do you fit that fan with a 3 pin connector into the slot in the TV which is two pin?

30. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +578
    That is a great question. Am I missing something here myself?

Xelon - I just bought the same fan as you. Have you fitted it yet?

Thanks