Acer AT3201W - 4:3 content "stretched" over SCART connections ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by nwpsys, Oct 24, 2005.

Tags:
  1. nwpsys

nwpsys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hope some of you Acer owners can put my mind at rest.

In the T3 review of this set, here they mention that all 4:3 content viewed from SCART connected sources is stretched to 16:9, and that there is no user control over this.

I am guessing perhaps they mean watching a DVD of an old TV show ( like Only Fools and Horses ) gives a stretched picture.

Has anyone come across this ? I have checked most of the major Acer threads here and no one has mentioned it, which I find curious.

Thanks,

nwpsys

2. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Correct 4:3 programs are stretched by default, but you can toggle the wide button on the remote to 4:3 and panarama mode, this is of course dependant on youre freeview tuner, unless using the crappy internal PAL tuner. When I use the TV using the freeview card in my HTPC, 4:3 programs automatically size correctly giving black borders on each side.

3. nwpsys

nwpsys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Xelon. Due to my location, I will have to use the crappy internal PAL tuner for the time-being. At the moment, on my Sony CRT there is a Smart mode where it does some funky stuff to fill the screen and keep the majority of the picture at ther correct AR, albeit losing a bit of the top and bottom of the picture.

Will I be able to achieve similar with the ACER ?

nwpsys

4. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    No, if youre using the PAL Analogue tuner then it will be stretched 4:3 no true 16:9 possible, you'll need either Freeview, Sky or NTL digital, thats from my experience, unless someone knows better.