Acer Aspire X1700 no longer switches on

Blue Lou

Standard Member
Hi,

I have a Acer machine and I've recently been away and when I turned my PC on for the first time in 2 months, the LED light indicating it was switched on faded out almost as soon as I turned it on. It will no longer turn on. The PC is less than two years old.

It came with a 10amp fuse and I'm hoping that this is the reason the PC doesn't turn on. I tried to buy a replacement yesterday but the stores don't seem to sell 10 amp fuses.

What alternatives can be used safely?

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
Is this a panel fuse or a plug fuse? If it's a panel fuse what are the physical dimensions?

Blue Lou

Standard Member
It was a BS 1362 fuse.. it didn't fix the problem either. My PC simply won't turn on. When I replaced the fuse, the PC led lit and went out quickly (again).

I think it may be a PSU problem.

It's an Acer Aspire X1700

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
I assume this is the fuse in the moulded plug. Not sure if this pc has an external psu. Try unplugging the psu from the motherboard and see if the psu stays on.

Blue Lou

Standard Member
I rang Acer earlier and they want £54 just to look at it. I think the motherboard may need replacing.

The PC was made on 12/1/09, can't I have it fixed under some consumer law because it is less than 18months old?

not really, most motherboards have a 12 month garantee/warranty with them.

also the fact that the problem is such an old one (ethernet) they'd probably just tell you to buy a replacement.

Blue Lou

Standard Member
It's not that old though. Typical.. found the receipt. It was bought in June 2009.. :| It's almost as if Acer timed it to die just when warranty ran out.

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
not really, most motherboards have a 12 month garantee/warranty with them.

also the fact that the problem is such an old one (ethernet) they'd probably just tell you to buy a replacement.

Hi Reeve, are you mixing threads here?

Well you need to tell us more about the model for us to help you. It may be needing a new psu or motherboard or any number of things.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 293381

For a 10 amp fuse to blow means a serious fault in the PSU. The Acer PC will need to go in for repair by a qualified technician.

Please note this is a health and safety issue. 10 amps is a lot of current!

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
For a 10 amp fuse to blow means a serious fault in the PSU. The Acer PC will need to go in for repair by a qualified technician.

Please note this is a health and safety issue. 10 amps is a lot of current!

Whereas I don't disagree with your initial statement, I think that your conclusion is a little monochrome.

For the fuse in the PSU to blow, there clearly has been a major fault in the psu and the psu fuse has done it's job! However, it would be almost impossible for a fault in the circuitry fed by this psu to have brought about the failure of the fuse because modern switched-mode psus have current-limiting circuitry. So we can assume that the fault is limited to and contained by the psu. Replacing a psu is not beyond the scope of the majority of people frequenting this forum. However, it may be for the OP so if that is the case, then I would suggest approaching a repair shop and getting a quote for the checking of the psu and it's possible replacement. That should limit the financial exposure.

Lightbulbs blow, taking out 6A breakers. We don't call in technicians to replace lightbulbs.

D

Deleted member 293381

Lightbulbs blow, taking out 6A breakers. We don't call in technicians to replace lightbulbs.

That was uncalled for and a totally unnecessary comment. Suggest you re-read my post and take note I suggested "to go in for repair" not call in a technician.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, after all that is all it is.

Blue Lou

Standard Member
Hi,

I'm fairly competent building PCs.. I've built complete systems before. I don't want to spend money on a PSU (£86 according to Google) and I would have preferred for Acer to fix it because it's only just out of warranty by days through and damaged through no fault of my own but they want £54 just to look at it.

I paid for it using a credit card so if all else fails, maybe they could look into it. I've never opened the computer case or broken the seal.

The Sales of Goods Act looks up my street.

The Sale of Goods Act in the UK

It is well worth noting that the Sale of Goods Act in the UK protects the purchase of goods over their expected useful life.

This is valuable protection for goods that have an expected useful life that is longer than the standard 12-month warranty. It means that if the product, such as a desktop or laptop computer, has an expected useful life of four years, its owner can get it repaired or replaced if it dies within that period, regardless of any warranties, standard 12-month or extended. All computers should have a useful life of at least four years, so it is a waste of money to buy an extended warranty for a desktop or laptop computer. However, the vendor or manufacturer will probably try every trick in the book to avoid having to repair or replace a computer that is out of its warranty period and which has no extended warranty. That said, if you have the product examined by a reputable third party and then insist on your rights under the Sale of Goods Act, if the product fails within its expected useful life, you will always be entitled to having it repaired or replaced.

Source: PC warranties - The PC warranty and the warranties of individual computer components

andrewt9763

I would say 10 amp way over the top,a 5 amp is plenty,this ensures the fuse goes before a fault takes out components.A surge protector is a worth while investment also.

Blue Lou

Standard Member
I wrote to Argos back in July(!) but never received a response.

I still have a broken computer sitting here that is less than two years old and it is broken through no fault of my own. I think I may have to bite the bullet and pay Acer for it to be fixed.

Iccz

Distinguished Member
I would keep chasing Argos up on this if you are getting nowhere with that try talking to the Citizen's Advice Bureau for free advice.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom