Acer Aspire Revo Owners Thread *Part 4*

Oh no! Mine says incompatible next to it. A lot of them say that. Also navi x, mash up and Istream won't install

Maybe its because i installed frodo first then upgraded.

Go onto openelec support live chat and ask about aeon nox. Don't ask about them others maybe as you might get told off.

neil1979
I would be very interested if you could have a look at that USB drive which booted with that partition manager and let me know where the boot partition started. Like most of my USB drives your problem drive started at sector 2048 so for future reference it would be interesting to see if my theory about start sector is true.

Chris

Hi Chris, tell me what you want me to do and I'll take a look.

Cheers about the advice Damian.

Do you think I need to update anything to get things to work?

Hooray

*dances round the room*

Well done told you to never give up.:clap:

I have Gotham on the latest nightly build and I literally installed Istream tonight through the SuperRepo Gotham Repo and it works fine.

EDIT : Here it is, select the Gotham one.

1. Download XBMC Addons repository SuperRepo | SuperRepo.org

There is an Aeon Nox beta skin available through another custom repo if you Google it.

It works fine but I prefer Quartz as its much more Wife/Child friendly.

Suggest you buy the same USB stick for yourself mate and throw the others away LOL :laugh:

Congratulations:clap:

Neil1979
In post 305 you said that you used Partition Wizard which indicated that the first or boot partition started at sector 2048 on your USB drive which would not boot. Could you or anyone else with a USB drive which boots in a RL80 let me know what the first sector used is for the boot partition usually found in Advanced Properties on most partition managers. I have 11 USB drives none of which boot in an RL80 but all boot in my other computers. There is some characteristic of these drives that the RL80 is more choosy about than other computers and I suspect it is the location of the first sector of the boot partition.

Chris

Cheers wooelephant, I have installed a different openelec build and that is running frodo so will just leave it at that for now as don't want to balls it up ;-)

Jc, you lost me at sector ;-) Nah, I think I know what you mean and ill take a look tomorrow if I get chance.

Again, cheers for all your help on this. :)

Me again

Everything is working fine and I am going to take the plunge and upgrade to Gotham (fingers crossed) ;-) but 1 question, I can not seem to locate my internal hard drive when in xbmc. I want to transfer some music, pictures etc but struggling to find the drive. It shows when I go into the system settings on xbmc. Do I need to 'add a source' or is it something to do with partitioning?

Sorry for being thick

Hello (again)

I have been busy recently so not had chance to look into this further but does anyone have an answer to the above?

I have not upgraded to Gotham yet.

Cheers

Hello (again)

I have been busy recently so not had chance to look into this further but does anyone have an answer to the above?

I have not upgraded to Gotham yet.

Cheers
Make sure you have enabled hidden folders in the system settings. If done add your root directory as a source and the new you should be able to browse your hdd.

Right, hidden folders were showing but not to sure if I can see the internal hard drive as there is nothing on it. Can someone explain to me how to look and transfer stuff across like you are talking to a 5 year old please.

Go to settings > file manager > then right click on left side and click add source. You should see a menu pop up which has several options. One should be called home. Select home then click ok. Give it a name and click OK again. Now back at the file manager screen on the left should be a new folder you just created. Click that and that is your internal hdd. There should be files in it. Some starting with a dot at the start. These are the hidden xbmc files.

Now if you want to copy stuff across. Then within file manager the left side labeled A is the from section and the right side B is to section. Make sure you are in the right folder to transfer from and also the right destination folder then select file on the left right click select copy / move whatever and it will move it to the destination folder on the right

Mark, you are a genius, I however am an idiot. Easy as that.

Cheers for your help. Much appreciated.

Anyone upgraded to an SSD noticed a big difference in speed?
Was it worth it?

Have a Revo and want to upgrade but don't want to but another copy of windows. Is there a way round this?

Thanks in advance
Ossie

... Have a Revo and want to upgrade but don't want to but another copy of windows. Is there a way round this?

You don't need another copy of Windows to upgrade to an SSD - just some software that will image the existing disk across to the SSD. It's bit of a pain to put an SSD into a Revo RL70/RL80, you pretty much have to dissassemble the entire machine to do it.

I am trying to install Linux on an external USB hard-disk of my Acer Revo R3610. The installation completed without error (ending at the prompt "..., continue testing or restart?"), but when I tried to boot from that hard-disk (hitting F12 then selecting the hard-disk as boot device) the system would fail to boot: the display would just flash the blinking cursor seemingly forever.

I should note that I can boot the R3610 from a USB DVD drive just fine. Also, the same external USB hard disk would boot just fine on a different laptop, so it seems that there is something peculiar about the Acer R3610 that keeps it from locating/reading at boot time the boot info on a USB hard disk.

I'd like to know if anyone has succeeded in installing and running Linux off a USB hard-disk on a Revo R3610, and if so, can give me some pointers on where I might have made mistakes.

TIA.

Howdy all! Me again :)

Did anyone ever manage to install an mSATA SSD in their Revo? Any reason it wouldn't support one?

Thinking of getting one installed and having the regular SATA port used with a nice 1-2TB disk for media storage etc. Just thinking aloud etc! Cheers in advance.

Put one in mine no probs!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom