Acer Aspire Revo Owners Thread *Part 4*

I would even post you the stick I used. As long as you send it back!

You guys rock! :) I will be back later and will try. It's probably something stupid that I am doing if I'm honest. I like to think of myself as a computer geek but in reality in not. ;-)

Hi jc, do you mean the starting LBA? Mine is at 2048 and I'm using the mini tool partition wizard home v8.0

Can somebody tell me how i factory reset this thing? tried everything like you guys have said but still cant get this stupid thing to work! Going to try a factory reset and then just going to return it as its been 3 nights and I have got absolutely know where and im losing patience with it if im honest

Just a quick question neil1979 - have you disabled "secure boot" (under "Authentication" in the BIOS) and set "Launch CSM" to "Always" (under "Boot Options" in the BIOS) ?

Yep. They where already set to them but just checked and they are still the same.

Just put my SD card in again and an openelec screen came up but had writing in the top left corner saying it could not find something and wouldn't let me do anything. It's the closet I have come to anything bloody happening though

I just remembered that I have a brand new (not opened) transcend 3.0 USB stick that I bought for my brother in laws pi.
I will open it, put it into my windows 7 laptop, use the folder I extracted the openelec file to, run the livestick program and then try it in the revo.

Shall I use the 3.0 USB ports or just the standard ones on the back?

I have also requested to send back the revo from where I bought it from just in case it is that.

Any tips before I try it?

Just to completely confirm Neil. You definitely are not putting it in the front USB 3 slots? I always had to put it in the USB 2 slots at the rear of the unit. Also I can't quite remember if you mentioned which revo you have now. I'm assuming an rl80.
Booking with openelec is pretty easy.
In addition to this with booking from memory stick. Do you get two selections for the memory stick. I. E. Two partitions with the same label? I do on my SanDisk card due to it having two partitions. Try either partition. You could be selecting the wrong one.

Also what you could try is booting another os from the USB stick. Don't give up on this. The Acer revo is a fantastic little machine. Although I'm getting rid of mine for something with more grunt

Hi Aciid, it is a revo rl80 and I am using the back USB slots.

Is it OK to use a 3.0 stick in the back slots?

Not sure what you mean by 2 portions? Can you explain like I'm 4 years old please ;-)
When I f12 I get the option for the hard disk and 1 for the stick. I select the stick and just get a black screen with the blinking cursor.

I tried booting xbmc ubuntu but got the same issue so I think it's something I am doing wrong when making the stick bootable?

Sometimes memory sticks can have multiple partitions so it would appear in your selectable drives multiple times. But that doesn't sound to be the case. I don't think I made any changes to the bios. Try resetting back to defaults. It does sound like the USB stick hasn't been prepared properly. How big is the USB stick and how have you formatted it? Ntfs or fat32?

I have 4 different USB sticks. I think I have a 1, 1, 4 and 8gb sticks. I have been formatting them to fat32

I could not seem to find a factory reset option on the revo?

Those sticks should be fine. I've used both Kingston and sandisk. In the bios it self where you would usually save settings there should be something like load defaults.
ImageUploadedByAVForums1398587114.456053.jpg

It should look similar to the attached, I think....

I have done the 'load optimized defaults’ bit.

What do you recommend I should do with brand new USB I have? Stick it my laptop, run the livestick and hope it works or shall I format it first?

Depends what it's formatted as. You may have problems with using a USB 3 stick. Although I couldn't say as I've never used one. Give it a go if your gonna keep it. No harm

:) it must have been the USB sticks. Just put a brand new one in, ran livestick and it installed :)

Thank you all for your help and patience everyone :)

Now, 1 little thing is that it installed xbmc Gotham. I wanted to stay on frodo. Is it easy to change or shall I just cut my losses and not touch it again! Ever ;-)

I'm on Gotham now. I installed Frodo and did the upgrade. Works the same for me. I'd just leave it if it works OK.

I think your probably right. Maybe I we just leave it. ;-)

I was using Istream but it's not compatible with Gotham yet.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom