• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Acer Aspire One 531 installing XP (again)

mrspoons

Established Member
I'm trying to sell on an aspire one that I bought a couple of months ago and want to install a copy of XP so that it is in the same sort of state it was in when I bought it as I'd installed a copy of Ubuntu on there as a replacement.

I've managed to completely wipe the drive including the recovery partition so I can't use that anymore so I need to re-install XP on it and don't have the recovery discs and I really don't want to shell out £50 that Acer are charging for them

Does anyone know if I can just grab an iso image of XP and use that? Would the licence still be legal?

Cheers

brookheather

Distinguished Member
If you have a Windows XP COA on the laptop then you can use any Windows XP disk to install - when it comes to activation you will probably need to phone MS to verify the COA licence key details.

- Simon.

mrspoons

Established Member
If you have a Windows XP COA on the laptop then you can use any Windows XP disk to install - when it comes to activation you will probably need to phone MS to verify the COA licence key details.

- Simon.

Will give it a whirl - might need to get another XP disk from somewhere as the last one I used wouldn't get past the enter licence key details. It kept coming up as invalid

brookheather

Distinguished Member
There are different flavours of Windows XP install discs - your best bet might be to use an MSDN one and enter a valid MSDN dummy key (google for it) - once installed you can then activate with your proper key.

- Simon.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom