Acer Aspire iDea 500/510 Media Centre HTPC... SPECIFIC QUESTION!

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by Matt_C, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,833
    Have just discovered this sytem exists - never seen or heard of it before! Looking at it, visually and spec wise) it looks very good indeed, reading this thread however seems to be riddled with probs.... Just wondering now it's been out for a bit, how is it now? Bugs fixed, things working smoothly?

Now, after scanning through and searching the forum, the ONE question I need to know a CORRECT and clear answer to has not been revealed...

Should I get one of these, it is to connect to a CRT TV. I have the option on this TV of 1) RGB Scart input, 2) Svideo (via scart), 3) composite (via scart) or 3) component YPrPb (but only in interlaced, not progressive.

Being a CRT I don't need any HD resolutions, however it has been said that HD pictures/res's downscaled to 576i typically look better than stock SD-576i....

So here's the ALL IMPORTANT question!

With an analogue video output from either the scart, svid, composite or component, will it output a) in 16:9 picture (like my DVD player and Freeview box do) and more importantly b) display a correctly displayed widescreen RESOLUTION inside this 16:9 picture (ie, not output a 1024x768 (4:3) desktop/MCE res and simply stretch it to 16:9, cos that looks poo and is what I have to do with my current PC which only outputs max 1024x768 via svid) I want, for example, a 1024x576 (or say 1280x720) proper widescreen resolution (like you would get on a PC connected to a widescreen TFT monitor) and it to output this resolution via scart, svid, composite or component, in 16:9 output, to my CRT TV.

Now can anyone CATERGORICALLY state this is what it CAN do. Or catergorically state it WILL NOT do this, in which case I'll save £500 and carry on using my freebie Compaq pc hooked up by svid to my CRT.

I thank you in advance! :)

Oh, and whats the difference between the 500 and the 510? :)

2. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,833
  3. Ambulance Andy

Ambulance Andy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Matt,

Just found your thread on the Acer iDea 500. Just wondered if you ever bought one as I am thinking about buying one too?

4. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Most likely you'll use S-Video output, unless you have a fancy TV CRT with VGA input. As for resolutions laptops are usually pretty limited. You'll want to set s-video output to 720.576, PAL (60hz) You might need to adjust size/geometry sliders in the laptop graphics settings. Widescreen will work fine, once setup right.

I used a Acer Travelmate 270 for a HTPC a while ago, worked alright except had to use 1024x768. Using a dedicated HTPC with ATI X300 allowed me to choose 720x576 which is the best resolution for a standard widescreen CRT TV

5. Ambulance Andy

Ambulance Andy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Actually was thinking of using HDMI into my Plasma, there seem to be only a wee few Laptops that have the HDMI capability one of them is the Samsung R70 and R700, which might do the job.

VGA sounds old fashioned but some people seem to rate it :confused: I am not sure what to do really but with Dual core laptops been more common these days than any HTPC's that I have seen?

6. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    My HTPC is a dual core:confused: Can choose "TV" resolutions but with the two laptops I've used could only select 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768. And not 720x576 or 720x480 (which I can from the ATI X300)