Acer Aspire 5535: "Wireless is not currently enabled" problem - how to enable?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by matth76, Feb 1, 2009.

1. matth76

matth76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have an Acer Aspire 5535 laptop with Vista Home Basic (everything pre-installed). It "should" also be ready for wireless with an "Acer Nplify 802.11b/g/Draft-N WLAN". However when I go to view the available wireless connections in the "Manage wireless networks" page in vista I get the message saying "Wireless is not currently enabled".

I have tried going to device manager and looking under network adapters but strangely can only see "Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet" nothing referencing a wireless card!! I have also tried doing ipconfig /all in command prompt and again I cannot see any adapter for wireless. So all seems very odd!

On other laptops I have just pressed the function key and F2, or sometimes there is a separate wireless enable button - but I can't find any info or any buttons on how to do this. Please can anyone help me enable wireless on this laptop?

I'm beginning to think it doesn't actually have wireless capability as I was lead to believe when I bought it from the shop so may need to get a replacement.

Thank you for any help.

2. madhouse

madhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Bawtry nr. Doncaster / Wiesbaden (Germany)
    Ratings:
    +72
    what's that button next to the vol+ on the top?

I'll see if I can find the manual in the meantime.

Simon

3. madhouse

madhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    update: maybe this info can help?

This is a rough translation of a comment made by someone of the German Amazon page for this model at the end of December 2008.

Acer has installed the incorrect driver for the WLAN card which causes the Notebook to crash in 10 minute intervals. First the system freezes and then the screen goes dark. The computer requires a shutdown via the power button and then needs to be restarted. The recommended driver update on the Acer support website doesn't fix the problem.

This problem exists with the 5530 and 5925 which also have the Atheros AR5B91 WLAN adapter built in.

The problem can be solved by deleting the preinstalled driver version v7.6.1.162, ignoring v7.6.1.172 recommended by Acer and downloading and installing either v7.6.0.200 or v7.6.1.149 instead.

Good luck,

Simon

4. matth76

matth76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Simon. The laptop I have is the 5535 - is this affected by the above?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2009
  5. matth76

matth76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone else had this problem with an Acer 5535? How did you manage to enable wireless?

6. Mics49

Mics49

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    another vote for the driver missing. if you know the type of card you have you should be able to just google for the correct one. otherwise check on acer or microsoft websites directly.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  7. madhouse

madhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Hi,

yes - sorry for not being a bit clearer - the info I found relates to the model you have - the other part of the text was about the same problem occuring with other models as these have the same component as yours.

Hope this helps and good luck solving the problem.

Simon

8. msnseb

msnseb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey i have the same laptop and same problem you found a solution yet?

9. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,230
    Sorry for posting the obvious in advance, but have you got the wireless switched on? My Sony has a switch that will turn off wireless in an effort to preserve battery life should I need it. Are the appropriate lights on your laptop indicating wireless lit?

If its a driver issue, then check the Hardware manager - if driver related then you will see the wireless card listed with either a yellow exclamation mark or a red x next to it.

10. msnseb

msnseb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wireless is on theres a button, dont know about the hardware though. Do you know if i can use this computer as an acess point?:lease: