1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acer AL2671W LCD...and LCDs in general?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by jyork, Apr 3, 2005.

1. jyork

jyork

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone. I bought a 26" Acer AL2671W LCD TV last week, having seen positive views on sites like this and trustedreviews.com. I've been trying it out & have a few concerns - but I suspect they're common to LCDs in general, not just the Acer. So far I've found that as a TV it doesn't match my old CRT TV and as a monitor it doesn't match my old CRT monitor:

Built in tuner - pretty average, but this may be down to my reception as much as anything, although my old TV seemed better. Pale horizontal lines rise up the screen on most channels. It's all perfectly watchable, just unimpressive - although the horizontally scrolling credits of Friday Night Project looked dreadful. My experience with my old ON digital box through SCART was similar.

DVD Player/Playstation 2 - similar to above, the picture is far from perfect (again, SCART), and inferior to old CRT. Functional though. A horizontal flickering occurs around middle of screen when using PS2 from time to time - perhaps this is interference when accessing disk?

PC via VGA-IN port - this has had the best results so far & may prove to be the best way of watching DVDs for now. There is a slight issue with text though - it's all ever so slightly flickery/wobbley - like the haze you get on a hot day. Is that to be expected or could a setting/driver fix it? My screen refresh rate is set at 75Hz. Otherwise it's pretty decent.

I assume only the DVI-IN port will show off the TV's full capabilities? Hoping to get a PC with DVI-OUT as soon as I can afford it!

The pictures are all perfectly acceptable, especially if not too close to the screen & if you all tell me this is all to be expected from an LCD TV then I'm happy. As someone new to LCD TVs I'm just trying to set my expectations at the right level.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

James.

2. Puffer

Puffer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments jyork,

maybe try posting in this thread

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181905

as their's people that have this lcd panel and possibly could help enlighten you on any problems you have with it,
    could be you have to change some settings or you might have a faulty set.

I'm also trying to decide which lcd panel to purchase and
    have found most reports on the acer to be encouraging
    never the less find your comments useful.

3. jyork

jyork

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Puffer, I'll take a look. Still appreciate any views on this thread as I'm as interested to know generally about LCDs as I am about the Acer. Am I right not to expect exceptional quality until I get a device with DVI-OUT? Or have I set my expectations too low? Thanks.

4. badboy killa

badboy killa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive got this monitor, and although the tv viewing isnt as good as a crt (not that its supposed to be) its still quite good. I get a little shadowing, but it may be due to the signal, as some channels are better then others. I have a DVI cable, havent tested it though, i shall do tomorrow and let you know what i think. But all in all, this has to be a best buy. HDCP 26" LCD TV with a 2 year onsite warranty at £580, dont think it can be beaten at that price!

Also yet to test PS2, will do 2moro :smashin:

5. jyork

jyork

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you. Interested to see what you think. I'm pretty convinced the poor picture quality with the internal tuner is just due to my signal, it's a shared aerial in a block of flats and I don't think it's that good.

The slight problem with viewing my PC through the VGA port seems to be down to resolution - I believe the LCD's native resolution is 1280x768 but I can't get my graphics card to display at this resolution, even after using an application such as Powerstrip. Not sure my Hercules Prophet 4500 3D card can do widescreen...hmm...

6. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've just bought this model, and have none of the problems you describe. The signal is pretty good on all TV's, and the tuner works just fine on it (internal and freeview). No lines on the screen no matter what I drive it with. No flicker when driven in VGA (I think the resolution may be driven by the TV - which won't allow a native signal down the VGA - really silly !). Picture not quite as good as a DLP, but pretty good for all that. Only real issue is that it responds to almost every remote, usually by changing channel or switching off. Maybe you have a dodgy one? - if I had the artifacts you describe I'd be taking it back

Cheers

Greg

7. Vallyboy

Vallyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a short note to say my son has recently purchased the Acer and in general seems a good bit of kit. I am no technofile but I would suggest that so much depends on the quality of input. My son downloaded The High Def clip from the MS site, (Beauty of Flight or similar) and it does look very impressive, and what I conclude from this is that the Acer can produce a great image if the input is correct. Some Sky channels look good compared to others so I assume that again is down to broadcast quality.

My son can be rather picky regarding the quality of sound and vision but generally he is delighted with the Acer and thinks it was a good buy. :)

8. weebroonieuk

weebroonieuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well , ive had this tv for weeks now and i love it !

it is your pc thats at fault mate not the screen , u wont need a new pc unless u want to watch hi def dvds or clips , just a new graphics card that has a dvi port and there not really expensive

through dvi and vga the picture is pixel perfect especially text as i have my laptop plugged into this and am sprawled out on my bed typing this through the tv ! ( gotta love cancelled jobs )

ps2 wise i was gutted when i first got the screen as it was the arrival of gt4 which prompted me to buy a new tv

decided to get the compnonet leads of ebay (under a tenner delivered)
    the picture is now as good as i have ever saw from a ps2 and no ghosting although i have only tried gt4 and not first person shooters

dvds i havent tried yet thrugh a dvd player as i just use the pc or laptop (pc hooked up to the dvi , laptop hooked upto the vga out on the back)

the picture is as good as i can tell and wont bother with a dvd player as i want id of the junk and just a media centre pc

tv tuner , yes its crap but it only looks bad because of the resolution of the screen lcd's are too sharp for normal rf feeds hence why everyones waiting on sky hi def in 2006 which this set will support

any high defdisplay will make a bad feed look worse !

9. jyork

jyork

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Weebroonie, just what I was looking for. My gut feeling is that the TV's fine, it's just the rest of my stuff that needs sorting. I know I can get a new graphics card with DVI but Mac Mini's tempting me! Still trying to get my PC to send 1280x768 through to the Acer but not having much luck. The picture's pretty good through VGA even at the wrong resolution to be honest.

Tried the tuner again tonight & it seems a bit clearer - pretty convinced my reception's just not that good and that was just less pronounced on my old, smaller (21") CRT TV.

As for you remote control issues Gregory, not experienced the same so far but will let you know if I do. However, haven't found the Acer's remote to be very responsive, need to point it directly at the screen, unlike my other remotes which allow a bit more of a casual approach.

Sorry to sound like I'm moaning, I actually really like the screen! Just trying to make sure I'm getting the full benefits out of a rare £600 spend!

It's interesting to hear of all your experiences, so ongoing thanks.

10. weebroonieuk

weebroonieuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mate a mac mini is gutless and will never handle the future hd dvd needs better of building a htpc yourself as it will be more powerfull and easier and more options to upgrade !