Acer AL2671W 26" LCD £630

JackFlash said:
Hi Zag

Well the answer 2 part 1 of your question is that you can do what ever you like with the picture. You're right it is 15:9 so a 16:9 broadcast will have 2 very thin bars at top and bottom in standard viewing mode. If you want it to stretch to fill the screen then you need to select "panorama".

Part 2 I'm afraid I don't understand. If you watch a 4:3 broadcast in anything other than 4:3 resolution, then you're going to get a distorted picture, so surely 4:3 on a 16:9 screen will always have 2 thick bars on either side.

Thanks!
About the 2nd question: I meant that typically one (well at least me :) likes to watch 4:3 broadcasts on widescreen TV so that the picture fills the screen quite well but the picture is not stretched in any way but just "zoomed in", and in the best case the part I am not seeing are some black bars top and down in the 4:3 broadcast.

Zag

How does the Acer compare to the Sonix? anyone seen both?

JackFlash said:
Sorry to be a pedant badboy but I think it is pretty important to differentiate between a monitor and a TV!

The main differences are:

1. This is the obvious one - A monitor does not having a TV tuner built in!

2. Audio - A really, really big difference is of course the sound. Most monitors don't have speakers built in. For those that do, the speakers are shite, and the speakers that ship with PCs tend to be shite too. But the new generation of LCD TVs have exceptional audio capability. Take the Acer TV. It has 2 x 5W speakers with 3D surround sound and WOW technology by SRS Labs (look it up on Google - it's fab).

3. AV connectivity - show me a computer monitor which has Scart connections. LCD TVs are beginning to ship with connectivity options to die for. Again taking the Acer as an example, it has 2 Scart connections, one VGA, one DVI, RGB component etc, etc, etc... monitors have only VGA. (DVI if you're lucky).

So you see referring to Acer's TV as a monitor is a little off the mark mate!

Jack

Firstly I DO know the difference, so it just sounds as though your trying to insult my intelligence here. Where have I implied that its JUST a monitor in my post, just as you refered to it as a "TV". im not going to go on about how its not JUST a TV!

ive got mine connected to my pc via dvi using power dvd movies look great :thumbsup:
Stuff from pixar look particuarly good.

anyone got any pics of this tv? with a pc image or movie onscreen. really want to see what it looks like

thanks

mt50 said:
anyone got any pics of this tv? with a pc image or movie onscreen. really want to see what it looks like

thanks

Especial picture of the picture in picture in action please

Rad said:
Has anyone tried the Acer with a DVI dvd player ??

Also you can now get the Acer AL2671W 26inch LCD TV for £589 from here :
http://www.digiuk.com/productdetail.asp?id=3133

Cheers,
Rich.

Ordered mine from here on Monday late on (11pm) and it arrived today a lunch time. Just set the tv up in the bedroom fed from Sony DVD Component and Philips digisender rgb scart and am completely blown away. Setup is so simple compared to the pany plasma and the picture is fantastic. Can't recommend this highly enough for the money on first impressions. :clap: :thumbsup: :clap:

Hi!

I write form Italy: I'm interested in this Acer LCD TV 26", but also in the Sharp 26GA5E (there is a 200 Euros difference between them: 1000vs1200).

2 things I like about the Acer:
DVI input
PiP

2 things I like about Sharp:
800:1 instead of 600:1
it's Sharp and not Acer

What would you suggest apart from price issues (I think both are pretty good prices)?

Thanks!
Davide

I've just purchased this Acer LCD, is due Friday, Can anyone tell me of where I can get a wall bracket that will tilt at a resonable price.....Many thanks.

dedy said:
Hi!

I write form Italy: I'm interested in this Acer LCD TV 26", but also in the Sharp 26GA5E (there is a 200 Euros difference between them: 1000vs1200).

2 things I like about the Acer:
DVI input
PiP

2 things I like about Sharp:
800:1 instead of 600:1
it's Sharp and not Acer

What would you suggest apart from price issues (I think both are pretty good prices)?

Thanks!
Davide

:lease:

Got this TV now. Very pleased with it, miles better than the Sonix in every way.

At £560 inc delivery its a bargain too :thumbsup:

I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago, but have now returned it.

My problem with it was the picture quality with TV signals, both via Freeview and analogue terrestrial. I spent a lot of time playing with the settings, and the aerial is newly fitted and gives excellent quality on other screens, but on this set, I couldn't consistently get an image quality that I was happy with.

It's a shame, as connected to my Mac Mini via DVI, it looked fantastic as a computer monitor, and DVD playback through the computer was excellent too.

I suspect that the problem is that, although Acer are a good TFT monitor manufacturer (and this shows through in this sets PC performance), they are not on a par yet with the major TV manufacturers in terms of image processing to make the best of lower resolution TV feeds.

Kilburn said:
I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago, but have now returned it.

My problem with it was the picture quality with TV signals, both via Freeview and analogue terrestrial. I spent a lot of time playing with the settings, and the aerial is newly fitted and gives excellent quality on other screens, but on this set, I couldn't consistently get an image quality that I was happy with.

It's a shame, as connected to my Mac Mini via DVI, it looked fantastic as a computer monitor, and DVD playback through the computer was excellent too.

I suspect that the problem is that, although Acer are a good TFT monitor manufacturer (and this shows through in this sets PC performance), they are not on a par yet with the major TV manufacturers in terms of image processing to make the best of lower resolution TV feeds.

Thats a shame. I find the picture to be superb with my Echostar freeview box connected to RGB scart. It does depend on the quality of the channel (but then thats the fault of the feed not the TV isn't it?), but on the higher bitrate ones I'm more than happy.

But I guess we all have different views on what we consider good/bad. :)

I'd agree that it is down to the quality of the feed, hence the excellent pictures I got via DVI.

It was just that a thorough try-out with the ACER made me decide that I wasn't happy with the "warts and all" image that it gives. I needed something that did a bit more processing to pretty-up poorer feeds, like Pixel-Plus, DNIe and Wega-Engine do for Philips, Samsung and Sony sets, respectively.

I would recommend that people do buy the set and try it out, as it does have a lot going for it, and you can always send it back if, like me, its not right for you.

Digger said:
Hi AJP. Just out of interest how did you connect this up... something like this i guess http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/AD013.html

cheers

Digger, I didn't need to purchase anything extra. The component out from a Netgem freeview box and component into the Acer TV aree both via scart connections. I just had to select the correct settings in both.

Cheers
AJP

Well I have had this TV for almost a week now, and so far very impressed with it :smashin:

The picture quality is very good from SKY using RGB, and excellent using component from DVD.

The PC looks great using DVI, very sharp image, and no sign of ghosting in games. So all in all, a nice TV :)

Was considering the Toshiba 27WL55 from Pixmania (£50 cheaper at least), but as it was out of stock and was concerned over the warranty (as it's a French model) so decided to go for this one. Having seen the Tosh running as well, I couldn't honestly say which gave the better picture, maybe running the 2 side by side you could tell, but probably not much in it.

Noticed somthing weird today. Got the freeview connected to Scart1 and DVD to Scart2. I've always needed the brighness turned all the way to max when watching freeview, but not DVD. I had assumed that it was becuase the freeview was outputting a dark signal.

However, today I swaped the inputs round and now the DVD needs to be on full brightness so it appears the Scart2 socket displays a much darker signal.

Both the DVD and freeview are RGB and RGB is turned on in the TVs menu for both sockets.

Anyone got any ideas? :)

BanziBarn said:
Noticed somthing weird today. Got the freeview connected to Scart1 and DVD to Scart2. I've always needed the brighness turned all the way to max when watching freeview, but not DVD. I had assumed that it was becuase the freeview was outputting a dark signal.

However, today I swaped the inputs round and now the DVD needs to be on full brightness so it appears the Scart2 socket displays a much darker signal.

Both the DVD and freeview are RGB and RGB is turned on in the TVs menu for both sockets.

Anyone got any ideas? :)

I noticed the same thing when I got my TV, I had to send it back soon after for another problem, but while speaking to one of the engineers I asked about it, and he said it was to do with Scart 1 having the PiP function. Why this should make any difference I have no idea, but they said it was normal.

So all I can say is it's not a fault on your set.....

Cyclone said:
I noticed the same thing when I got my TV, I had to send it back soon after for another problem, but while speaking to one of the engineers I asked about it, and he said it was to do with Scart 1 having the PiP function. Why this should make any difference I have no idea, but they said it was normal.

So all I can say is it's not a fault on your set.....

Very interesting indeed - thanks for that. My oroginal post got the Scarts mixed round, and yes, its Scart1 thats dark, not Scart2. Thats put my mind at rest at least. Still think that maybe 100% brightness on Scart1 sometimes isn't quite enough on some scenes but I'm thinking of getting a DVI DVD player anyway so I guess that will solve that. :thumbsup:

vwhece said:
visionwales have got this on offer this month as well, bargain for only £579! Acer AL2671W

Amazon sell them for just £527... I take it from your username that you work for visionwales :nono: :D

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom