1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acer 26" problems

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by timelimit, Mar 22, 2005.

1. timelimit

timelimit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I've been reading here for a while now and finally decided to post :D
    I finally moved from my crt widescreen to the Acer 26" lcd, and whilst I must say it looks great with DVD's and media from my pc, my consoles look a bit dodgy. At the mo i've only got my XBOX hooked up via composite, and Halo 2 and Star wars battlegrounds seem way too dark to play some levels. Will the component cable fix this up a bit or should i kiss goodbye to my halo 2 days :( ?
    Another problem is the Component via scart. Is the some kind of adaptor that will allow my component gamecube cable to connect to the tv?

Great screen but I might be tempted to send it back if it doesnt seem happy with my Consoles :(

2. JackFlash

JackFlash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Composite is your problem. Use component.

Also you'll find that the Acer 26" has a special "gaming mode" which automatically optimizes the contrast, brightness etc for gaming. Gaming mode also provides a heightened audio experience via SRS WOW technology.

Jack

3. timelimit

timelimit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool,
    the component kit, actually arrived this morning but im stuck in the office til 5 :(
    Got it hooked upto a DD5.1 Set up for audio :D
    I've seen other threads saying you need a modded xbox for 480p or higher but i called up ms yesterday and they said uk xboxs will happily support 480p with the imported component cable :confused:
    Does any1 else find Halo 2 too dark is that just down to using the composite cable?

4. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Microsoft are talking ********, UK Xbox's do NOT support 480p. You will have to get your Xbox chipped to access this mode.

What sort of monkeys do Microsoft have working at there call centres ?.

5. timelimit

timelimit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got back to mine last night and hooked the box up to the Acer via component and up to my dd 5.1 amp. Picture is damn good even without it being 480p. And sound is great :D :clap:
    Decided to do the soft mod (save exploit).
    Erm.....this may seem like a silly question but can lcd screens (the acer) handle progressive scan?

6. JackFlash

JackFlash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you've now got an A1 picture! What about the sound - good, eh?

Re- progressive scan, yes the Acer 26" can handle it. This TV is fully HD-ready and handles the following resolutions: 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i. The "p" stands for progressive scan.

Cheers

James

7. vectrasri99

vectrasri99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do dark scenes (halo in a dark room with little light source etc.) look like. Is there detail in the dark compared to CRT?

M

8. timelimit

timelimit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yes :clap:
    Will be having much fun over easter then :D girlfriends off skiing with her family and i'll be enjoying my tv with a couple of games of multiplayer halo and star wars battlefront with my mates :D after a good lot of drinking that is.
    I had the xbox hooked up to the amp via analog so it still sounded nice, but after whacking it through the optical and enabling dd5.1 all i can say is wow :thumbsup: Hearing bulltets flying all around you in halo 2 and hearing a wookie screaming behind you as it gets hit by a sniper in battlegrounds :D

Any1 know if there is a way to hook up another component connection? For the xbox i plugged in the HD kit from MS into the xbox and then hooked up the component scart lead that cam with the tv. But i cant figure out how i'df connect the gamecube up via component, as it doesnt have the connection box ala the xbox HD set :S is there any component to component via scart adaptor that youy guys know of? :rolleyes:

9. timelimit

timelimit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They actually look quite good :) they seem more realistic now than they did on my crt screen and thats without progressive scan being enabled. When i was using the composite connection i couldnt see anything, and even when i whacked the brightness all the way up i could just about see anything in darkly lit areas. But the component cable seems to have sorted that :)
    I didnt think that switching inputs would make such a difference but it has :)

10. vectrasri99

vectrasri99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that. The reason I asked is that with the Sonix26" using DVI (best possible connection) from my PC I do not get detail in the dark. It doesn't matter how much your turn the brightness/contrast up it isn't there. It would appear that the acer screen has some what more contrast regardless of specs.

M

11. timelimit

timelimit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i using a radeon 9700 and via DVI it looks amazing on my acer :)
    whats graphics card are you using?

12. alfmunich

alfmunich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what do you think about this tv in general. i want to buy it to use as a normal tv.
    i do not need special features.

13. timelimit

timelimit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    honestly not too sure, we've got analogue cable in my place and its split between 5 tvs so the picture is quite crappy :( should be getting sky digital in the next couple of weeks. I'm sure with a decent signal (sky digital or freeview) the picture would be good. All the pc media ive watched (divx, xvid, wmvhd & divHD) all look amazing.

14. vectrasri99

vectrasri99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using a Radeon 9800 Pro and via DVI the picture is stonking but not when playing games in dark areas. Example:

Colin mc 5 demo, the part where you go into the forest, the trees are dark with dark green. Not on the LCD as they are black, not a mixture of black and dark green.

Doom3, doesn't have many shadows, bits of walls etc. are just not been shown, the screen just makes it all back.

I've have fiddled with every option and nothing will show this detail.

DVI on the desktop, quality images, web, word etc. is so rich, crisp and solid that I though the screen was brill.

note: in the above games moving or static the detail is still not there.

I just watched a bit of BBC 1 news at lunch and some times it looks out of focus (bad scaling I guess)

Is this all LCD or is this make that bad. Sounds like the acer is much better!

M

15. timelimit

timelimit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've only tried playing warcraft which was very nice, but the reivew of the acer on Trustedreviews talked about playing counter strike and the reviewer said it looked amazing. I'll try playing some darker games when i get back to mine tomorow.
    I had a very similar problem with Halo 2 before i switched to component input, dark areas were just black. But your using dvi, which should give the best quality :confused:

Have you checked to see if any other threads mention the same problem ?

16. vectrasri99

vectrasri99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting that CS is meant to be great. When I watch my screen saver of a fish tanks thingy it looks almost real, the wife was stunned , we were also both amazed @ pictures of the web in 1280x768.

RaceDriver2 and jungle parts of FarCry are so clear and colourfull but these are bright scene's.

HiDef 720p video (microsoft site) is also clear and correctly coloured (my eyes anyway).

Please check some darker games and let me know. I know I'm in the wrong thread here as I'm talking Sonix26 but they are LCD's & PC games.

M