1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acer 26 inch widescreen LCD TV? Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by JackFlash, Jan 28, 2005.

1. JackFlash

JackFlash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone

Newbie here and I'm a bit of a techno-donut so please be gentle. Anyway a mate of mine has just bought an Acer 26 inch widescreen LCD TV (AL2671W) for £649 (!!!!!) and he is absolutely blown away with it. I'm in the market for something similar myself and until I came across this one I was thinking I'd have to fork out about £1000 but it appears that prices are tumbling dramatically. The question is, is a 26" LCDTV at this price too good to be true? My mate reckons the TV picture is just about perfect and the surround sound brilliant. He says the viewing angle is ridiculously good (apparently you can see the picture really clearly from a nearly side-on angle) and its got loads of different i/o connection options. It really does sound too good to be true so I'm going round his place shortly to check it out for myself.

The question is, is there anything I should be wary of at these kinds of prices? The equivalent Philips one is £1049.99, but unless it does things like make coffee and toast, I really can't see why anyone would choose it over the Acer one.

So is there anything I should know about LCD TVs that I might be missing?

Thanks in anticipation

Jack

P.S. Will confirm just how good (or bad) this Acer one is when I get back from my mate's house.

2. onlyconnect

onlyconnect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm impressed with the Acer. It's not "too good to be true", but it reflects the declining price of LCD screens as production ramps up. There are other models of similar spec and price - Video 7, Saisho, Goodmans have been mentioned.

What I can't tell you unfortunately is how the Acer compares to the other models in its price range, or to 26" LCDs with an apparently similar spec that are more expensive. Even the Dell W2600 is nearly 50% more expensive. It's possible that the Acer screen isn't as good; it's also possible that the others will all come down in price over the next few months. In computers, Acer is normally among the cheapest suppliers.

Tim
    iPod Photo reviewed:
    http://www.itwriting.com/ipodphoto.php

3. xmb

xmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
  4. ajp558

ajp558

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi,

I received my AL2671W this afternoon but haven't had much time to play with it yet.

Connected to my main PC via DVI at 1280x768 it looked perfect to me. In fact after using it for work for an hour when I switched back to my 17" LCD at 1280x1024 it looks and feels like a tiny 14" monitor. Its titchy and I don't like it. Until trying the Acer it was great. The Acer LCD is bright, colours look great and viewing angles were good, but I need some time to get it set up properly.

Connected to my laptop (Acer Aspire 1500LMi with ATI 9600) over VGA I had some trouble getting a resolution of 1280x768. I eventually downloaded Omega drivers to get it to work, but the picture was less impressive and seems to have some slight ghosting. Needs playing around with a bit more I think.

Using just normal terrestrial TV I see what Tim "onlyconnect" means in the other thread. Its okay but fairly digitized looking comared to my CRT TV.

Using a Netgem Freeview box with both RGB and Component out I am also not yet convinced. Again it looks quite digitized and pixellated. I don't know if that just what they are all like, but it doesn't look as good as the same Netgem via RGB on my JVC 32" TV.

So I love it for PC work but may have to play around with things for the other connections, and I haven't yet tried it with a DVD player or VHS tape recorder.

As far as aesthetics go I think it looks great and is very friendly apart from awkward access to the DVI socket under the screen and near to the stand.

AJP