Acer 16:9 Aspect Ratio and Output

darkblueblood

Standard Member
Not very good at all this technical stuff, so was wondering if anyone could help. I bought an Acer laptop with blu-ray player recently, it has 16:9 aspect ratio and I was wanting to output it onto my 1080p tv when playing blu-ray discs.

Anyway, when I play the blu-ray discs, it outputs to the tv ok, but it is pretty much in some sort of letterbox view. I'm not sure if this is because of the 16:9 ratio thing, or something else.

Is there any way I can change this so the film shows pretty much full screen on my tv, or am I stuck the way it is? Or if it is possible to change it, would it look stupid if in full screen?

Any help is very much appreciated

Philly112

Distinguished Member
Firstly, what film are you watching? If it's 2.35:1 aspect ratio, it should have bars at the top and bottom on your laptop as well.
If it's a 16.9 film it should play back the same on your TV.

Phil

darkblueblood

Standard Member
Firstly, what film are you watching? If it's 2.35:1 aspect ratio, it should have bars at the top and bottom on your laptop as well.
If it's a 16.9 film it should play back the same on your TV.

Phil
Thanks. The film plays back with black lines at the top and bottom, and the dvd case itself says it is 'Widescreen version 16:9' and then says in smaller print 'presented in 2.40:1 Aspect Ratio (approx)'

Does this mean that when connected up to my tv it will always have the black lines at the top and bottom, as when on the tv this takes up a lot of space.

Is there no way I could change this either on the laptop or the tv?

Philly112

Distinguished Member
Well, I would ask the question - why would you want to change it? You are watching the film as it is meant to be seen, and it doesn't appear that you have a problem with your laptop.
But if you want the film to fill the screen... I am not sure how you could adjust the laptop settings (others here will be able to advise) but most TV's will allow you to zoom the image to fill the screen. But you will lose some of the picture in doing this.

Try a film which is actually meant to be in 16.9 ratio and see how that looks. If that fills the screen at least we can be sure that there is not an issue with the laptop settings.

Phil

PS I am of course presuming that your TV screen is 16.9!

darkblueblood

Standard Member
Was just wanting to change things cos when it gets output onto the tv, the black lines at the top and bottom take up most of the screen.

Understand your point about it being viewed as it's meant to be though

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom