ACE Unit for Projectors?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by General Skanky, May 3, 2002.

1. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Anyone used/going to use one of these http://www.gthelectronics.com/index.shtml ??

It's always advertised in mags. Just been looking it over, doesn't seem too bad.

Any opinions?

At £299 it seems a half way point from cheap convertors up to the likes of IScan etc.

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I didn't think the Ace deinterlaced and scaled and output prog RGBHV rather that it was just for analogue video format conversion and colour and timing correction .

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I know we chatted about it before, just wondered if anyone had any experience of it.

As it's an Ipswich based company, I went to look at where it's postcode said it was, but I made it out to be in the middle of the post office!?!:)

It does have many good features to its name, colour correction, picture adjustments and so on.

Just wondering out loud, that's all.:)

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    To be honest I'd be more worried about it compromising the signal rather than improving it. Its been around in one form or another for donkeys years. It might be useful if you were into editing analogue home video but ayone serious enough to consider an ACE to improve things would probably have already moved on to DV and a PC based system where all the adjustments the ace offers are available and several thousand more and its transparent.

tis a box ye dinnae need skanky

5. Gordon at GTH

Gordon at GTH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As designer of the GTH Electronics ACEs I would like to clarify one or two points if I may. The ACE has been around for some time but of course development continues and the current incarnation of both units uses the latest chips with 9bit A/D and 10bit D/A ensuring a true 8 bit through path. So, with broadcast sample rates, transparency is not an issue and of course digital connection is only transparent if no processing is involved, otherwise the video must be decoded and re-coded.

You are correct in that the ACEs do not offer progressive scan but the ACE Converter has been used very successfully with projectors and its comb filter decoder is state of the art. Although designed initially for linear video editing both units are valued wherever real-time processing is a benefit, whether for video format conversion, colour correction, standards conversion, aspect ratio conversion or a combination of these.

Gordon