Ace Combat 7 VR

For me this is the best VR game to date. It's genuinely thrilling and the sense of immersion is astonishing. Being able to look around for enemies and track them as I hurtle towards the ground at Mach 1.8 is one of those genuine VR wow moments. Playing the main 2D section of the game feels incredibly flat and lifeless by comparison. It's such a shame the whole game isn't playable in VR. Hopefully the incredibly positive response this has got will encourage them to make some VR DLC missions.

If you have a PSVR, despite the small amount of VR content in this, it's an essential purchase.

It's hard as nails though, much, much more difficult than the 2D campaign mode. Perhaps to compensate for the brevity, old school style.

I remember going to WHSmiths on a Saturday, buying a magazine, and going home and TYPING the game into the ZX81 (In Basic)... Most of the time it wouldn't even run with a Syntax Error and I was too young then to really understand how to debug it....

I remember my Mum typing in the "Pyramids of Aaron" from C&VG May '85 issue (I looked it up:D) and it didnt work - seem to recall they printed a correction the next month, but she had already figured it out. A couple of years ago I found it on a Spectrum archive site and downloaded it for her. It was terrible!!

I remember a radio show that once broadcast the loading sounds of a spectrum program, so you could record it onto a cassette and then run it on your computer.

I have a vague memory of that too - there's an article about it here

"If we were to try to broadcast GRID for PS3, Windows or Xbox 360 in TRS-80 cassette format it would take around four years and require a C-1,957,341 cassette (let’s get a ‘C two million’ to be on the safe side) to record the results."

Anyway, back on topic - Ace Combat is awesome!

How is the game as a normal 2D game though? Don;t think I've played a flight sim for maybe 30 years although I am loving Ultrawings. Just not sure of all the shooty shooty stuff but very tempted in this.
I am presuming there will be more VR missions coming, being a timed exclusive on PSVR surely means more than just 3 missions or so.

Think I would have to get a Hotas though :)

Oh and this is the definitive flight sim - first one I even played...

It's arcadey more than a sim. PS Access did a stream of it last week.

You mean nowhere near a sim like 747 on the BBC Micro? :)
I've watched loads of videos of it and does look like fun but as I said I haven't played a flight sim (arcade or serious) for a very long time. Will mull it over but might wait for it being on sale (meaning I'll impulse buy it at the weekend) :D

Actually...think last one I played was that Top Gun game on PC (mid 90's I think).

How is the game as a normal 2D game though? Don;t think I've played a flight sim for maybe 30 years although I am loving Ultrawings. Just not sure of all the shooty shooty stuff but very tempted in this.
I am presuming there will be more VR missions coming, being a timed exclusive on PSVR surely means more than just 3 missions or so.

Think I would have to get a Hotas though :)

Oh and this is the definitive flight sim - first one I even played...

Ha, someone needs to port that BBC micro simulator to VR, surely! Surprisingly good authentic plane sound effects coming from that beeper.

There are no plans as of now for more missions. Someone mentioned above that there will be a year of more VR support but I think he misinterpreted. PSVR has an exclusive on the VR for a year then they will bring it to PCVR. It is arcadey and flies very much like in Rogue One except can do wicked barrel rolls. I am finding combat really hard, though, loads harder than Rogue One VR...I have never played piloting games other than the Wing Commander series back in the 90s. So I am very slow to learn the techniques here which btw, there is no tutorial whatsoever even in the 2D mode. Its unnerving how the other pilots in the game is following my lead as a I am meant to be a veteran only to find I can't shoot anything for peanuts!

But despite my failures in combat, this VR mode is sensational. As for 2D, I had a go on the solo campaign (hoping for some tutorial) but still playing inside my PSVR headset on the largest cinematic screen mode. Then I realised once I already played it in VR, the 2D game mode pales so much in comparison (even worse if playing it on TV). Having said that, even though there is no tutorial, the 2d campaign is a more gradual climb, so I think for beginners like myself, it is actually best to play the 2D campaign to hone the skills before the VR campaign...but I dont want to, I want to just play VR now, lol.

But it makes me think, will I ever be satisfied with the 2D once I played the VR missions. The 2D campaign feels so ordinary and restrictive (ie not being able to look around and track enemies with your head, etc). But because the 2D is the main story campaign, I may be compelled to play though it...though always with that empty feeling of missing the VR element. I actually feel the same way with the racing games, Wipeout, GT Sport, Driveclub and Trackmania but at least their VR modes are very substantial in length.

I paid £45 for the disk version with the idea of trading if the game's VR does not have longevity for me or if the 2D does not appeal but I am not sure if I will or if its a keeper at this point. But I sure don't regret buying it for that awesome VR experience.

It was me who mentioned the years support TJ, saw it mentioned in a review but no explanation as to what it meant, your explanation makes perfect sense:thumbsup:

Totally agree with your comment on the empty feeling with 2D gaming compared to VR! I'm a latecomer to PSVR only having accquired my headset at xmas but ever since putting that magical contraption on my head for the first time, i've been left feeling 'empty' & disconnected in my 2D gaming sessions! I've got a whole raft of stellar 2D games to work through but now i really struggle to become engrossed in them they i would of done before experiencing VR! I'm playing 2D games now thinking this would be so much better in VR! Despite the jump in graphics sharpness on the 2D games compared to the PSVR i'm now finding the 2D experience well......a little flat!:D

Finally sussed out combat and its all feeling second nature now. I have no problem taking out enemies now, my next self improvement is to be quicker with the kill as the second mission has a pretty tight time line and not taking down the enemies in time.

Really love the dog fighting. This is a really sensational experience...pity its not going it be long.

But I decided that this will be a keeper because although, the 2d game will be a step down, experience wise, I do love the gameplay.

Just one more thing I want to add about the VR experience, I am using my home theatre surround speakers and thr vibrations from the subwoofer when the plane takes off or explosions really adds to the immersion!

It was me who mentioned the years support TJ, saw it mentioned in a review but no explanation as to what it meant, your explanation makes perfect sense:thumbsup:

Totally agree with your comment on the empty feeling with 2D gaming compared to VR! I'm a latecomer to PSVR only having accquired my headset at xmas but ever since putting that magical contraption on my head for the first time, i've been left feeling 'empty' & disconnected in my 2D gaming sessions! I've got a whole raft of stellar 2D games to work through but now i really struggle to become engrossed in them they i would of done before experiencing VR! I'm playing 2D games now thinking this would be so much better in VR! Despite the jump in graphics sharpness on the 2D games compared to the PSVR i'm now finding the 2D experience well......a little flat!:D

Glad you enjoying your psvr and a belated welcome to the VR club :)

Yeah when playing the same game in 2d mode, it does feel so flat. However, I still enjoy 2d gaming but guess what, not on my TV but in the psvr headset in cinematic mode. When playing 2d racing games, I use the largest screen mode, for other games like Spiderman, God of War etc I use the medium size screen. I even play my ps3 games too as we can connect psvr to any hdmi output device too, giving our ps3 games a new lease of life.

Just one more thing I want to add about the VR experience, I am using my home theatre surround speakers and thr vibrations from the subwoofer when the plane takes off or explosions really adds to the immersion!

You should always use headphones when playing in VR. A crucial part of the immersion is 3D audio - so the sound moves relative to your head position. That's impossible with fixed external speakers.

You should always use headphones when playing in VR. A crucial part of the immersion is 3D audio - so the sound moves relative to your head position. That's impossible with fixed external speakers.

Thank you for you for well meaning advice but I use both and it is a preference that differs between every individual. There are positives in both.

I use headphones when I want isolation of vr from rest of family if they are in the room or if they want to see strictly dancing on TV.

While headphones are effective, (directional sounds are amazing indeed), I love the richness and spatial accoustics of my 7.1 home theatre surround more and the directional sound is still effective. The base and tremble from a subwoofer is unmatched. I assure you I still feel fully immersed but thanks.

Anyone else can't get past the first mission?

Even on easy.... I'm finding this one very tough.

Anyone else can't get past the first mission?

Even on easy.... I'm finding this one very tough.

I did too but keep at it... You'll find a rhythm for taking them down, it becomes easy once you've nailed the maneuvering.

Only aim for the enemies that are labelled with an alphanumeric. The other "enemies" are missiles etc, don't waste time on them, dodge those with hard banking or loops. The big green arrow on your radar points to your main enemies so follow that arrow direction all the time. If an enemy plane is too near you, accelerate away from it to get some distance then double back behind it and take him down.

Every enemy needs two hits with your special weapon, so once you have the enemy target locked, press the O button twice quickly in succession to destroy each in one go. Forget about using your normal machine gun fire (button X), it's only for close combat and I find that awkward. Your missiles are tracking missiles, easier to destroy targets.

Watch their speed on your radar panel and adjust yours so that you don't approach them too fast or your missile strikes will miss them. Try take them down from behind.

Don't worry, you'll get in groove and once you do, the game becomes even more awesome to play as your flying becomes second nature.

Hope some of that helps, have fun.

Wow. Thanks for the detailed reply.

Been playing res 2 remake all day but will give this another try now.

::edit::

Solid advice. I've now finished the first mission :)

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Just finished the second mission after a couple of hours trying haha.

Really so much fun.

Using the hotas4 actually makes a huge difference too, as you can use the throttle up quickly and easily change speed.... which is a must for taking down enemies so that you don't just zoom past them :)

Definitely, having control and practise with the flight mechanics takes a little time, but it's worth it.

I still spend a lot of time crashing haha, and can't always evade the missiles..... but I'm having a lot of fun trying.

Plus, I'm only on easy mode at the moment. Still got the other difficulties to extend playtime.

Once you beat a level (even on easy) you unlock free flight for that map too.

Once I finish everything, I'm going to have to go back and finish ultra wings too... got my hotas4 craving back now.

I only just completed the second mission yesterday too, took me about 25 attempts! Same combat approach applied but was always running out of time. Its quite a tight frame to destroy all the enemies and the airborne enemies seem to be a lot more slippery in this mission. Great challenge. Just needed to fly fast, fire on enemy as soon as in range and move quickly on to next target, no time for faffing around!

Looking forward to playing third mission now.

Oh, I am using a dualshock. Pretty happy with its control and responses, I feel a Hotas may be more difficult to use for me and is really for having an authentic feel...but I could be wrong I never tried a hotas.

One thing about VR mode is that there are no trophies whatsoever. I suppose that is because most owners of the game would not have a VR headset so those that like to platinum their games would be peeved that VR is needed to platinum. But still, the devellopers could have still use the existing trophies with some achievements such as number of enemies taken down or number of completed missions which other games like GT Sport do.

Last edited:
So finished the 3rd mission. It was visually the best looking weaving in between mountain tops in and out of clouds. But gameplay was the same albeit with even more slippery enemies to combat. An airshow unlocked which was actually quite nice being a spectator to a cool airshow (stick to original perspective to enjoy the show and look to the left for the start of each show trick). A new fighter plane unlocks too.

Overall it's a superb VR experience, that ranks along with Wipeout in terms of VR immersion.

But of course unlike Wipeout, this is woefully short.

Feeling quite sad now. I want more. Only three other VR experiences, I've craved more of, Rogue One, London Heist (which we will get a feature length version soon in the form of Blood and Truth) and Rescue Bot Mission (which we did eventually get a full feature game in the form of Astrobot).

This really is just a dlc VR add on, much in the same vein as Rogue One VR mission was to Star Wars Battlefront.

I played first 2 missions of the normal campaign and its a totally different game. Third person perspective and the control of the plane is different too. The rolls and turning control very differently to the VR mode.

Ace Combat VR mode is quite simply the vastly superior experience and far more enjoyable to play. I am not so keen on the main game after playing the first two chapters even in the big screen mode (which I prefer over a tv as I feel a far more sense of immersion despite being non VR ). So I will milk the 3 VR missions until I can complete them in Hard mode. After that, I think I will definitely trade the game off and perhaps repurchase a year or two later for a tenner...unless the Flying Aces beta coming this summer fulfills our vr flight combat desires)

I do understand why the developers did not make the existing campaign playable in VR, iits not a simple translation. But lets hope PSVR market grows rapidly for the developers to consider expanding on the VR content.

VR experience 9/10 (But do not buy full price just for VR mode...maybe when it goes down to £10-15 in a sale)

No doubt the VR levels are very impressive.. but i am disappointed by the lack of engine noise.. i just unlocked the 2nd plane and took it out it free flight.. and there is absolutely no noise at all, irrespect of throttle position or speed.

Very odd as i would imagine the engine in a military jet would be deafeningly loud..

Anyone else noticed this?

No doubt the VR levels are very impressive.. but i am disappointed by the lack of engine noise.. i just unlocked the 2nd plane and took it out it free flight.. and there is absolutely no noise at all, irrespect of throttle position or speed.

Very odd as i would imagine the engine in a military jet would be deafeningly loud..

Anyone else noticed this?

Maybe a conscious decision to clearly hear and communicate with command centre and fellow pilots? I dont know whats the norm as I never played any other aircraft game before aside from spacecrafts in Rogue One and Wing Commander series. But Rogue One was the same, I dont recall hearing my own engine sound but we do hear other planes (or x Wings in Rogue) wooshing past which is very cool. But not sure if aircraft engine sounds are normally implemented in other aicraft games.

In driving games, we do always hear the car engine and they do add to the experience but driving games don't tend to have voice communications apart from Dirt Rally.

I don't know, I never thought of it. But now that you mention it, I guess I would like to hear the rumbles of our engines too now.

Maybe a conscious decision to clearly hear and communicate with command centre and fellow pilots?

I am sure you are right.. But I would like the option.. The VR experience is so realistic.. But its lacking for me as it just doesn't sound like I have a 100,000Bhp Jet engine behind my seat...

As you say, you can clearly hear the other jets roaring past...

It would be nice if they added an "Engine" slider to the Audio settings, but I suspect nothing will change.. Which is a shame!

Last edited:
The VR on this game is great. I've been a bit immune to the VR effect for a while with games feeling like they are just on big screens rather than me feeling like I'm in them but AC7 is different.

Mission 11 is coming close to ruining the game for me though. Mission 9 was a pain in the ass too.

I just managed to try VR on this game for the first time. I do not get VR sick, ever since I have used VR so that was no worry.

I have been playing the game in 2D normal mode via my PS4 PRO so know the controls but this is the first fighter jet game I have ever owned. I did and am finding it quite a steep learning curve in terms of completing some of the missions.

This is a video I made of my 2nd ever VR attempt at this game. 1st was a test to see how it works and all that.

I just managed to try VR on this game for the first time. I do not get VR sick, ever since I have used VR so that was no worry.

I have been playing the game in 2D normal mode via my PS4 PRO so know the controls but this is the first fighter jet game I have ever owned. I did and am finding it quite a steep learning curve in terms of completing some of the missions.

This is a video I made of my 2nd ever VR attempt at this game. 1st was a test to see how it works and all that.

Gosh, that was pretty disciplined not to try the VR mode until now! What's your thoughts on the VR experience? Did you enjoy it?

I see this is on sale on the store for £20. Worth it for the VR bits?

I see this is on sale on the store for £20. Worth it for the VR bits?

Ooo, tough to answer that, as the VR missions are an incredible experience but as there are only 3 missions, I am not sure if that alone is worth £20. I would suggest get borderlands 2 or another full vr game for that money.

The 2d game had a horrible gameplay for me, especially hated it being a third person. perspective so at £50 it was cerrainly not a keeper and I traded it after finishing the VR part (I always buy new high price games on disk in case its not a keeper). At £20 I personally still wouldn't make it a keeper but at £15 max, I probably would.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom