Ace Combat 7 VR

Looks really good. I can imagine it will be quite stomach churning.

Pitch / roll / yaw confirmed then :smashin: Also interesting they had the camera mounted on an arm, so it was head-level and about 3 foot from his face.

Looks pretty good, I wonder how robust the game is, and if they can get some mission variety in.

A bit more info: Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown - PSVR Hands-On

tl;dr looks great - is a vom-fest :smashin:

So now we come to the VR aspect, and we'll start off with a positive - it makes tracking enemies a lot easier. If you fly past someone, for example, you don't have to turn your whole plane around to know where they are, as you can now look around the cockpit to see where they've gone, and the great thing about this is that you find yourself instinctively moving the plane without thinking to get to that direction while keeping your eyes on the enemy.

Another positive about VR is the detail that has been put into it. The cockpit looks incredibly good, with all the dials lit up and a huge number of switches, and the environments you fly over also look really good, from the little islands and even the clouds. In terms of feeling like you're really in a fighter jet, the level of immersion that VR so often seeks, Ace Combat 7 hits that nail pretty much on the head.

The bad thing about VR is, as you might expect from being in the cockpit of a fighter jet: motion sickness. Within ten minutes of playing the demo we were feeling pretty queasy, and this particular pilot doesn't usually feel sick with VR games. What's worse is that sickness followed us into the evening, long after putting the controller down. We weren't the only ones either, as various people stopped playing before the end of the demo because of the intensity it offered.

Surely if you can do rigs in full non visor mode you can do this!
Too many vr wimps reviewing games these days, like the ign reviewer who could only do rigs for 10mins at a time.
Bring on the vom!!

The absolute worst vom moment for me so far has been reversing in driveclub.

Cancel your pre-order guys (if foolish enough have done so) :nono:

Game preview: Ace Combat 7 is the next big VR game

As Kono explains, you can’t play the whole of Ace Combat 7 in VR but it does contain a number of special missions that are designed specifically for PlayStation VR.

That's a blow :( Really not good at all, and sounds like they either ran out of time or will to do it properly and all in VR.

sigh, that's a shame was hoping that like Resident evil it would be the next AAA game from a big publisher to be fully playable in VR to keep the ball rolling now I wonder where the next one will come from there doesn't seem to be any announced that i'm aware of maybe this years E3.

A shame indeed, however at least the VR component sounds like it's impressive

Does anyone feel this stage of VR might but be just a bit of a fad? Just doesn't feel like we have ANY triple A games coming and it's all so experimental demos etc.
I just wish more people could try it and thus see how amazing it is, and then we get more proper games!

Bought the disc version yesterday and fired up the separate VR missions mode straight away.

Wow, it's an amazing sensation when taking off from the lander and flying the plane is quite exhilarating. Yes, the visual fidelity is lost but it is relatively smooth, with minimal shimmer. The VR immersion absolutely more than compensates helped with great sound effects and combat comms environment. Flying the plane was easier than I thought it would be and the feel of it through the dualshock force feedback.

What really struck me was cockpit view is very enveloping and so transparent, it felt as if there was no glass and I am in a flying convertible. I don't suffer vr sickness myself but I can imagine this game might affect those susceptible to it.

Looking around as enemy planes fly past me is awesome and VR gives us a new way to target your enemies quickly by literally looking around you instead of a red symbol on your radar screen.

I am absolutely crap at the combat itself but I am totally into investing the time needed to mastering that. Still yet to even complete the first mission successfully.

There is absolutely no tutorial, though, not even in 2D mode. Its straight into missions. But that's ok, controls are simple enough but just have to learn but failure!

Crashing animates a split second scene of debris flying into your face engulfed in an explosion giving me a sensation of a relatively quick death! But it is effective and gives me a thumping heart.

Not rating the VR mode of the game until I complete all the missions but so far I love it.

Watched one review that said VR missions will be supported for a year? not entirely sure what that means? I'd be a bit miffed if i'd paid ÂŁ50 for 3 VR missions & they disappeared after 12 months? Hopefully i've read into that wrong & by supporting it for a year means they'll be adding more VR missions? Looks great but i'll be waiting for a serious price drop before purchasing.

Is there any way to tell from the case whether the Day1 (Pre-Order) DLC is included.

I had no intention of getting this, but after seeing the reviews of the VR portion, I want it... But I would atleast like the DLC to make it a little better value for money, so am hunting around to see if I can find a copy.

Guys, I think it has been advised by most reviewers NOT to buy it just for the VR mode at full price. They say it is a 3-4 hour playthrough in VR (expert combat pilots can complete it quicker). I bought mine on disk with the mindset of trading if the rest of the non vr game doesnt appeal. If I like the non VR, I'm keeping it but I have not played it enough to make any decision yet. I am just enjoying the VR and finally getting to grips with combat. The plane control feels much like the Rogue One VR mission but combat is a lot harder.

Got this yesterday and wow - the VR misssions are incredible. I've only done the first one but it's better than I could have imagined - so immersive. I only felt slightly nautious on take off but it passed and the ability to look around and track planes as they fly past you is amazing.

I've always loved arcade flight sims since playing FA-18 Interceptor on the Amiga back in the day - crazy to think how far we've come:

I can do one better.. I knew I had a love for Flight Sims going back to the Spectrum days:

I used to play this to death when I was a kid.... And for some reason, remember taking great delight diving/crashing into the lake (Which was more like a blue octagon, on a sea of nothingness).

Looking at the video again now, I just can't quite believe how far we have come.. That said its been 36 years....

Actually, along with Jet Set Willy and Breakout, that Psion Flight Simulator was one of the first games we bought upon getting a Spectrum in (I'm guessing) Christmas 1984. I remember spending hours trying to land the damn thing and dont recall ever managing :laugh:

Interceptor was the first Flight Sim I enjoyed though

Last edited:
I used to play the flight sim on my mate's ZX81. Gunship on the spectrum was the first one I had.

I'll probably pick this up when it's on sale as I like the look of the main game, apart from the VR stuff.

You are right.. I had absolutely forgotten about the Flight Sim on the ZX81.. This:

To think games were 16K back then, but then again you only have to look at them to believe it..

These kind of discussions take you back... Shame that most people won't have a clue what we are even talking about :)

And they wern't good memories either.. I remember going to WHSmiths on a Saturday, buying a magazine, and going home and TYPING the game into the ZX81 (In Basic)... Most of the time it wouldn't even run with a Syntax Error and I was too young then to really understand how to debug it.... If it did get a 'game' that ran, you had no way to save it, so had to play it until you either powered off, or sneezed and the lightest puff of air touched the RAM pack causing it to crash, or worst still break.. Happy times..

The ZX81 was 16K with a ram expansion (that you had to keep pushing in properly to stop things crashing)

Yep, I also used to type in the program listings from magazines - and then have to fix them later.

I remember a radio show that once broadcast the loading sounds of a spectrum program, so you could record it onto a cassette and then run it on your computer.

A bit off topic, but there you go

Same here! I think it was all mainly from Your Sinclair magazines if I recall. Typing the Basic lines was fine, it was the damn hexadecimal machine code level Pokes that were infuriating to type! But they were the better games! And it was the beginning of my love for programming ever since. Bless Sir Clive Sinclair. DIdnt know about that radio show, Jinster...that sounds great.

How the heck did we get on this topic?!?

I think Combat Ace 7 VR is slightly better than Interceptor on the Spectrum 48k...maybe :)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom