Accoustic Advice for Timber Room

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Paul-r1, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Paul-r1

Paul-r1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie so please be gentle with me ;)
    I think this is the right area allthough I might ask some non accoustic questions also. Sorry. :D

Anyhow, I am in the process of completing my first house purchase and been given permission from "She who must be obeyed" to turn the centre room of the log cabin at the bottom of the garden, into a full on Cinema room.

The room has to be "family friendly" also, but I am allowed large floor standing speakers and a proper overhead projector system.

This is a picture (Taken from the Estate Agents details) showing the building and the room.
    I can also tell you that the cabin is built from 3/4" pine tongue and groove boards. The floor and roof have been insulated and the place has full power, Broadband, Telephone etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The plan is to purchase an Infocus IN76 and a screen (any recomendations? - must be electric)
    and match this up to my trusty Harmon Kardon amp, KEF centre speaker and some "to be purchased" floor standing frontspeakers, wall mounted rears and a sub. I am still making my mind up on those.

Now because there is a room either side of the main room (will be guest bedrooms), I was thinking of cutting a small hole in the wall (8ft off the ground I have heard) above where the sofa will be and thus fitting the projector, in effect, in the other room. Will look nicer and reduce any possible fan noise. However, the measurements of the room are 13'6" x 14'9" and I am thinking that this will result in the projector being too far away from the screen. I assume there is a maximum distance??

Now while I appreciate I wont be able to have the system stupidly loud (unless I wish to fall out with my neighbours), I am more than aware that bare wooden walls wont provide me with the best acoustics. Or am I wrong?

So, without wanting to cover the walls in big thick panels, do you guys think that some nice big thick curtains that will go the complete length of the wall to cover the windows and double doors, and a large rug on the opposite wall, will suffice?

Also, any good places for very long cables? I will be wanting to connect a SKY HD box, XBOX 360 and a DVD player to it. Do I run individual cables to the projector or do they go into a junction box of sorts with only one cable going to the projector? Sorry if that is a very silly newbie question :rolleyes: I will also be having a more "normal" TV for the kids to watch there everyday rubbish on etc

Anyhow, any help you lot can give me would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

2. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    you want to break up the reflections to give the room a less reflective feel, what you suggest should certainly help. You might find you have a few rattles and buzzes from wood panels being a bit loose

3. Paul-r1

Paul-r1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I must admit, i did think about loose panels. All 4 walls are supporting walls so I'd like to think they would all be nice and solid, but yes, it would def be worth me going round checking and if I do have any loose ones, I could wood glue them secure again I guess.

4. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    the other thing is the resonance points of the walls, i dont now how to work that out but you might find certain frequencies will make them vibrate...