1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accidentaly changed Contrast setting

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Nick Cartwright, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And can't remember what it was set at! If I set the picture up using the THX optimiser does it matter if I change the contrast on the projector as long as the picture is ok?

Currently using Theatretek equiped HTPC and generally use the picture controls in Theatertek to make adjustments.

Also, what is the worst that can happen if I try and re-converge the Barco myself (BG808)? I am noticing some blue edges on white lines and mouse pointers.

2. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi there,

Personaly i'd say fine, its your set-up and your the one you need to please. Contrast/Brightness and general TV controls should definatly be in the hands of the user. You shouldn't be able to do much wrong (any?) with these. However most of the general rules with the remote controlable settings say try to keep close to the centre (50) and try not to exceed 30/70. If your going beyond these limits, in most cases it indicates a bigger problem - Height/Width excluded as for a 16:9 image these get squashed/extended.

Personaly i'd use the paterns in DVE for setting contrast/brightness as they are linked and the dvd is fairly easy going and is designed to help educate and improve your picture...think of it as Picture Settings for Dummies :D

The THX optimiser is ok, but i've heard its been out on some early discs !

Convergance i'd say is reasonably easy to play with on Barco's, Asuming the rest of the installation is good and you don't need to adjust the lens angle (which is no biggie anyway, but needs a screwdriver), its all driven from the menu's. You have Red on Green & Blue on Green. It starts with the centre and aligning the whole screen, then it breaks down into little squares where you align the crosses and dots and the box moves round the screen in sequence, kinda spiraling outwards and each adjustment affects further out, so don't worry if your initial tweaks make things worse towards the corners, as you'll get to them soon enough.

If your worried, just walk through the convergance settings by pressing enter each time to accept the existing settings and you'll soon see there isn't much to it.

From what i recall, there is a trick with blue on green as blue is a faint colour to see and seems to halo, you temporily adjust the brightness/contrast so its nice and visable and then adjust it back to normal levels afterwards.

Cya,
    Lee

3. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Lee, I'm glad you mentioned the 'keeping in in the middle bit', I was edging up to 65 on the contrast when I re-set ut but it was probably nearer to 50 thinkign about it.

I might have a play with the convergence, if I totally balls it up I can always get in a professional as it's due a service anyway.

Cheers

Nick

4. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Dont panic about the convergance......

Make sure the projector has been on for about 1 hour and playing a movie.

Make sure what ever you play your movies on is what you use to play the test pattern.

DONT USE THE INTERNAL ONE NOY AS ACURATE

if you use a htpc then check the "test pattern" thread I have just posted a FREE test pattern which I use and am very happy with.

I will soon be putting together some test DVD's but this will take time.......

DONT use the convergance off or midpoint setting unless you are very brave! it will set EVERYTHING to 50.....and BOY will you be scared if its your first time.....

5. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, MrH, I'll give it ago. I am not expecting to get it perfect, just slightly better. It's just a very slight blue shodow, only rerally seen with white on black lettering or the mouse pointer on the black desk top.

Am I right in assuming that improved convergence will also lead to a sharper image?

Thanks

Nick

6. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Yes, if the convergence is off then correcting it will improve the focus of that area of the image as the 3 guns are then projecting one image rather than 3 in the same area - if you get my DRIFT (no pun intended honestly!)

YOU MUST use a test pattern from the HTPC if that is your usual input.

If you dont use the free one I posted then please tell me what yo use? Always looking for more......

http://freepctech.com/rode/004.shtml

This is a NOKIA built file and I find very good

7. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have emailed the Nokia one home, thanks. I will give it a try either tonight or later in the week.

It is an interesting point about using a pattern from the HTPC rather than the in built pattern.

8. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Re-Converged the Barco using the Nokia paterns, it made life really easy and the convergence is almost spot on. Far better than it was, I had no qualms about saving the settings. Picture has improved significantly.

I have also got the contrast and brightness spot on.

Picture is the best I've had on the projector since the start, Theatertek dvd software is really coming into it's own now.

Thanks for the link MrH.

Nick

9. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    HI, Im not sure if it comes with instructions but....

I think press space bar and it move on to next test....

The convergence cross hatch it also does in purple - that shows your red/blue set up and usually that is a great help...though you cant allign red/blue in the menu so do have to guess that a bit! IF you do then move each colour the same amount towards each other that keeps things in a better set up.

If you have a remote do the convergence from right up at the screen. OR I use a pair of good low power binoculars if im at the PJ, at the screen is better.

Other programs to look at

DVD shrink - converts DVD .vob files to hard drive very easy to use FREE
    DVD Genie - unlocks addtional pars of most DVD playback software FREE
    Power DVD - able to play back .vob files so you can save to hard drive with shrink and play back FULL UNCOMPRESSED DVD's

For actual HTPC setup....

I use Meedio - its difficult to work with bu once you are used to it its good and open source so loads of people add things for free.
    I also have imon median, and NEW from Nvidia is there own HTPC system
    These mean you switch on your pc and can go straight into (if you want) a "media" system allowing you to play music, films pictures as if it was a dedicated "media" system and not just a PC.

Meedio is good because you can network it.

I have tried microsoft media center back gave it away!!!

Watch this space as soon I will have a load of "super bit" DVD's to test......and see what all the fuss is about......

10. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    MrH where is the free test pattern? I've looked and I've looked. Been trying that minimal sleep policy of yours over the last few nights and think its scrambled my brain!

I'll have to try Nokia for convergence. I've only every used it for brightness and contrast. By the way have you got a decent dot pattern? My astigmatism needs doing and I read on Curts site that the dots in the barco test patterns aren't neccesarily round to begin with. I'll have to purchase the Avia cd or whatever its called.

Yawn yawn :boring: ......I don't know how you do it! Think I'm off for a lie down!

11. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a link about 5 posts up. Thats the one I used. the cross pattern for convergence in far easier than the built in Barco pattern to line up. I have totally eradicated the blue shadows under the mouse pointer on a black background. I now have a solid white pointer and the focus is far better as a result of havign all the tubes aiming at the same place!

12. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Post number 6 has a link to it......

try that......

I just tested and it still works.....

PS - I have an unfair advantage on the sleep depravtion thing - A sleeping disorder - You dont want it!

13. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks MrH I thought you were refering to something other than the Nokia application I was obviously a little confused.

Nick it sounds promising look forward to trying it. Bet you're pleased with your results!

14. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very plased. I just could not get a decent convergence using the built in Barco pattern. I've seen it done and I know it was possible, but I just founf that having one colour on top of the other was hard to judge.

The nokia has colours in crosses so you'll get a blue cross and a red cross together, say, and you just line them up. It's really easy to see them lned up.

I did two passes using the guided barco convergence (i.e. it selects the sections of the display to converge next), after the first pass, the first sections I converged has slipped a bit, but after the second I was satisfied that it was as close as I could get it and better than it has been for a couple of years.

15. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For best results, don't use the 'guided install' as you need to go back and forth as moving one section will impact the adjacent. Always begin in the centre and work horizontally first, going back and forth till you're happy it's bang on, then do the vertical centre (so you've done a cross, then work around the middle of the cross, moving out to the corner (you can do a corner of the cross all at once, or do all the middles of the cross). Once you've done that for red and blue, like MrH. says, check it by 'color select' red and blue. If you can get that dead on then you're there.

I've done it probably 25 times in the last year and I finally feel like I'm getting there. It's really worth spending the time getting right.

As for using the internal pattern, it seems to work ok for me if I choose 'genlocked' pattern, but I tend to use a custom made test dvd.