1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accidental deletion of Ipod songs

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Oxhill, Sep 20, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Oxhill

Oxhill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    MY youngest son was given an Ipod 20gig for his birthday. He asked me to back up his music library on my PC (XP Pro). When I loaded Itunes, I managed to delete his entire library of music (I know it was the obvious blunder). Is there any way that I can recover these files (other than sending the ipod away). I assume like all deleted files, they still remain available.
    He is not a happy chap and I am in the dog house. Is there any software out there?

2. myepitome

myepitome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whoops...! Can't you try and use the function which can turn back your computer to a day before or whenever, I've never used this myself so don't guarantee my words...well it says harmfulchanges so I don't think it will recover it. And I suggest gettin a dvd-rw and backing up on a dvd as well next time!

[edit]
    found this, there might be a demo or trial period, but have a search around the web for any programs
    http://www.recovermyfiles.com/Recover_Multimedia.html

3. Oxhill

Oxhill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for speedy reply. The problem is not the hard drive on my PC, rather it is that the Itunes have over written the Ipod with the basis default set up. I presume that all the music is still there, and that Itunes has just renamed the first letter of the files. It seems extraordinary that Ipod can't make it more idiot proof!

4. Ryzir

Ryzir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why cant you just resync the ipod with his computer or just add all the songs again?

Yes, even itunes has its downfalls, and thats a pretty big one i think.

6. myepitome

myepitome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But if the problem is not your hard drive then shouldn't it be there? But then saying that...I've always liked to kno where your music actually goes when you delete it from your comp via sonic stage or any other program

7. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    i thought they were sent to the recycle bin.

8. Oxhill

Oxhill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi. Thanks for the link. I do of course use google, but suspect that my search technique leaves a bit to be desired (as I did not find it!). I do not have a mac but I will see if I can get hold oof one. Maybe this is the time to explore the mac area via ebay.
    Thanks again Sasso

9. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ryzir posted the link ;) Did you fix the problem?

10. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How did your son get the music on his iPod in the first place? Does he have a computer? If so, they'll be on that computer, and you just need to sync his iPod with that computer again.

Anyway, the files will be still on his iPod, just flagged to be invisible and the disk space flagged to be usable again.

Ordinary data recover software should be able to sort the files out and recover them. Here is a couple of Windows apps - I've not tried them, but they sound OK (the second one even mentions iPods):

http://www.soft32.com/download_7967.html

and:

http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm

Best of luck. Keep us posted.