1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accidental audio newbie.

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by number 8, Jan 4, 2005.

1. number 8

number 8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've just bought a Cambridge 'power amp'. What I really wanted was an amp that has a volume control and a tape monitor etc. Due to being a purchace happy ebayer and mistaking the controlless front of this unit for the effects of a dark photo I have got myself a Cambridge P75 power amp.
    My questions are simple; what is it for and how do I use it ?.
    [8].

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Number 8,
    Talk about trial by fire.....
    As you have stated you are the proud owner of a power amp....
    What you need to go with it is a Pre or integrated-Amplifier. This will give you the imputs and volume/balance controls.
    A Pre amp is purely a Pre amp and needs a power amp to power speakers.
    An Integrated amp is a Pre amp and a Power amp combined in one box.
    The Pre/Power combination is generally considered superior in the high end range.

If you buy an integrated amp you can still use the power amp by connecting it via the Pre out RCA Phono connectors on the back of the integrated amp. This will enable you to Bi-Amp (One amp drives the tweeters and mid range and one drives the bass) giving you (in most cases) a better sound. You would have to ensure your speakers have 4 cable binding posts on each speaker to be able to do this.
    HTH

3. number 8

number 8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thanks for your reply. I think I'll go for the pre amp setup you explained. I understood that...pre amp=controlls...power amp=sound. Are there any guidelines for selecting a pre amp to go with this Cambridge unit ?. The system will be giving sound to my pci soundcard and a vinyl turntable, I don't really require top end stuff, just something simple and compatable ( cheep would be good aswell, if that's not asking too much ).
    Cheers.
    [8].

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi 8,
    I'm not overly familiar with cambridge equipment but if your going to be using a turntable you'll probably need an Pre/Interated amp with a Phono Stage (For the turntable) Or you can buy a seperate phona stage. I know Cambridge Audio do 2 that would fit the bill.
    The only Pre Amp that Cambridge does is the C500. I (Unfortunately) have no idea about cost.
    I'm sure someone can advise you better than I can....

5. number 8

number 8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so I need a preamp and phono stage. Will having a seporate phono stage have any bearing on what I need from a preamp ?. In other words, does it mean that I can get a more baisic preamp ?.
    Thanks.
    [8].

6. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
  7. number 8

number 8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, this sounds like what I need. Although I kind of liked the idea of having a seporate phono stage box. I suppose I could always use one anyway even though thes pre-amp has one intergrated ?.
    If I decided that I want this pre-amp would you accept payment via Paypal ?.
    Thanks,
    [8].

8. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    8 - am in process of setting up paypal account, so in principle, yes.

To comply with the forum rules, we need to conduct this transaction on the classified ads forum - please post further replies there. Thanks.

Mod - can you move number 8's post to my classifieds thread please?

9. number 8

number 8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm still a little unsure about what it is I want/need. eg; I've seen a pre-amp that seems suitable although in it's description are details about 'moving coils' and certian cartridges. What is this moving coil buisnes ? ( I can get the exact description if it's important ).

10. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    There are two types of magnetic cartridge: the most common is Moving Magnet (MM) where the stylus wiggles magnets near two fixed coils. The other is Moving Coil (MC), where (unsurprisingly!) the stylus wiggles coils near fixed magnets.

Due to the need to keep the mass that the stylus has to wiggle to a minumum, MC cartridges have a lower output and require more gain and different loading from MM. You need a phono stage that can accomodate your chosen cartridge (The NAD1155 can handle either - it's switchable).

11. number 8

number 8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have now posted to your thread in the clasified section of the forum......[8]