Answered Accessing HD removed from Popcorn Hour

antonalfredo

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a Popcorn Hour A-210 with a 1 TB internal HD and a PC running Win 8.1. So far, I've been transferring files using a local network, but it's not very fast because even though the router is Gigabit the cable connecting the two devices is Cat 5.

I'm thinking of just moving the HD to an enclosure near the PC and just letting the my pop watch the videos from there.

Given that, can the PC access the contents of the HD, or do I have to move them to the PC first? If it's the latter, is it possible to to move the PCH next to the PC, connect it to the Gigabit router router using a short Cat 6 cable, and then transfer the files before I re-format the HD, put it in an enclosure, and copy the files back?

Welcome to the forum antonalfredo :hiya:

Regardless of the cable used copying media onto or from the PCH HDD is going to be slow. A media player as old as yours will only have a 100Mbps network port and even if it did have gigabit the processor in the player could not handle it at full speed.

The chances are that the HDD is in a format that a Windows PC will not natively recognise, ie Ext3 or similar. However there is good free software that will enable you to read the drive, see - 3 Ways to Access Your Linux Partitions From Windows

Mark.

Thank you for the help. I was just reading a similar query from 2009 here.

I will definitely need the software as I just found out that the PCH that I'm using has no gigabit ports, which means file transfers will be slow no matter what cables I use.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom