Accessing data on a recorder from a TV

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by bratman91, Jan 9, 2019.

1. bratman91

bratman91

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    In one room, I have a Panasonic DMR-PWT530 HD recorder/Bluray player connected to a TV. In another room, I have a Samsung UE40NU720 TV. Both the Samsung and recorder are connected to the same home network. On the Samsung TV, “Sources” shows the recorder, and selecting this brigns up what seems to be a file structure of the recorder. Under “HDD” there are subfolders for Movies, Videos, Dramas etc but all have no content, although the recorder actually has a number of recorded TV programmes. Also, there is a menu item of “TV Channels” which lists all the channels currently contained on the recorder. However, an error message pops up when trying to play any of them.
    I had hoped that I would be able to play recorded TV peogrammes, if only SD ones, on the Samsung TV - any comments as to why this seems to be impossible?

2. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +903
    It’s copyright protection at work. All recordings made on the DVR will be encrypted and can only be played back via that device.

3. bratman91

bratman91

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I thought that encryption applied only to HD recordings.

4. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +903
    You have to enable DLNA (server) on the Panasonic and the TV must be capable of DLNA (client) streaming and on the same network. Check out the user manual page 56 onwards.

5. bratman91

bratman91

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thank you John7. I set the recorder to be a DLNA server and it has resulted in being able to play a SD recording on the TV but not all of them. HD recordings will not play. Why some SD but not all SD recordings play, I have no idea.