1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accessing a region code menu but not being able to change it

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by clayts450, Jan 2, 2004.

1. clayts450

clayts450

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    A fair few visitors have complained about listed hacks (usually involving numbers like 1369, 1379 or 8888) not working on some players - i.e. you can access a hidden menu displaying a region code but you can't actually change it

After some research, I've published an article detailing the problem, listing the manufacturers who have actually bothered to do something about it (issuing a firmware upgrade which when completed means the code can be changed), and invited folks to post me details of players affected by the same problem. Hopefully, it will act as a useful reference point for people who want to contact manufacturers of players exhibiting the same fault.

The fault relates to one particular chipset, the MediaTek MT1379, which underwent a change in mid to late 2003, resulting in a new on screen display (OSD). It seems, unfortunately, that a whole batch of chips were affected by the glitch mentioned. It now seems that newer chips are fine again, so presumably MediaTek were to blame, rather than the manufacturers.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2008
  2. itchyritchie

itchyritchie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I have a mintek mdp5860 with this problem. Link to article no longer works. What do I have to do to make it work? I am very interested in this. Where can I read the article?

3. Bolander

Bolander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    When I tired to use the link my anti-spyware program warned me that this was a suspect site - maybe best to avoid.