Access Point or router?

willykatie

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm looking for either an access point or router with guest network that can hide or separate the shop local network to customers network as i'm going to provide wifi to the customers for free with any purchases in the shop for 30 minutes. I'm looking at either using my BT Hub and adding Ubiquiti Unifi AP or getting ASUS AC68U. Which one of these 2 better option for me to provide wifi to the customers?

My plan is customers will get random wifi code that will last for 30 minutes with any purchases and that code will be printed out with the receipt (not sure how to do this yet, lol) but also the customers can not see the option for our local network which will be hidden (is it possible?)

Any help would be appreciated guys.

Thanks again

You would need to create a VLAN for the guest network. That would create a seperate network that the AP could use. The routers you mention can't do that (the Asus can but from command line only). I know the Drayteks can do this easily from one box.

With regard to time limited passwords - I can't think of anything that can do that. The only other way I can think of is to change the Wifi key manually daily and amend your receipt accordingly.

I work for a very large retail\merchant company that offer wifi in their shops. Marketing thought it a great idea but in reality majority of people don't use. They leave their 3G\4G running (assuming the coverage is good).

Thanks for the reply.

I think both ubiquiti and asus have separate ssid, is that not the same as guest network?

Was looking at open mesh last night and I can set time on the access points including landing page but not sure how to print it on the same receipt rather than separate. The good thing where the shop is, the coverage only gprs so I'm sure people would use the wifi :)

You are right - the Wifi guest network on the Asus is indeed seperate from your network so it must create a VLAN for the guest wifi.

I've got an Asus RT-N66U router and run both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz main networks and a guest network for each. All separate SSIDs. It doesn't have the ability to automatically generate a random password though.

Got open mesh at the end. It works just like I would like to be. There are 4 separate ssid provided, landing page, generate random password also can throttle connection as well. [emoji4]

Ubiquiti Unifi AP has this built in as I understand it, I have a Unifi AP AC LR. Though I haven't enabled the guest networks all the screenshots show the ability to generate limited time guest logons. I can look at this if you want?

Thanks for the offer but I already got open mesh and totally in love with it. It is really good and glad went with open mesh.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom