Access Linux Drive from Windows

chrisw

Prominent Member
I've just had my Iomega Home Media Drive (NAS box) go wonky, and want to get onto the HDD and copy everything off it. The drive itself is fine (I've moved it into a SATA Enclosure), but I've found out that it runs Linux and don't have the ability to access it.

I'm running a Mac with Snow Leopard and also a VMWare Fusion version of Win 7.

Any advice as to how I can access the contents of the drive with my current set up?

Thanks, Chris.

ncmoody

Established Member
I'm running a Mac with Snow Leopard and also a VMWare Fusion version of Win 7.

You should be able to mount it under OS-X. If not create anothe VM of Linux - say SuSE and mount the disk - you should be able to copy from there to anywhere you need it.

chrisw

Prominent Member
You should be able to mount it under OS-X. If not create anothe VM of Linux - say SuSE and mount the disk - you should be able to copy from there to anywhere you need it.

I couldn't work out how to mount it, so I'm downloading a copy of linux and will install later on a VM.

Cheers for the advice.

ncmoody

Established Member
I couldn't work out how to mount it, so I'm downloading a copy of linux and will install later on a VM.

Cheers for the advice.

I understand OS-X to be a derivitve if Unix, so expected there to be an automounter or volume manager within it.
What about using the mount command.

Please keep us posted on you achievments, which Linux have you chosen?

chrisw

Prominent Member
I understand OS-X to be a derivitve if Unix, so expected there to be an automounter or volume manager within it.
What about using the mount command.

Please keep us posted on you achievments, which Linux have you chosen?

I've used Zorin OS 4 (a version of Ubuntu I'm told), and have managed to succesfully retrieve my files from the disk. I cou;dn't manage to get OS-X to recognise the drive so went down the VM route.

Thanks for your help and advice.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom