Acceptable CPU temperatures and cooling

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Strobe, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Hi!
    Just after a bit of advice on CPU temp's and cooling. I have a fairly newly built PC, it's on an Asus Z68 with i5 2500 and stock CPU and case fans. Can't recall the exact case model but it's a reasonable Coolermaster. The Asus mobo software gives me a warning with CPU temperature at 72/73 degrees C when under load during video encoding (using Handbrake). I assume this is higher than desirable! The PC is not used for any high-level gaming (only HL2:DM at which I rock!), high def video play-back and encoding and Photoshop. I was thinking just to upgrade the stock CPU cooler? Is there anything that's generally well-regarded, will make a noticeable difference and mostly importantly cheap and easy to fit? Any advices much appreciated. (Ebuyer links would be good!)
    TIA. Cheers, Simon.

2. brookheather

brookheather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +930
    I use the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro rev.2 on my desktops with similar spec - very quiet even under load such as Handbrake.

3. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Thanks for that, will give that a go. :)

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,518
    Depends on which temperature it's quoting and what correction factors it's using.

Has the CPU started to throttle itself? i.e. it's not running at it's full clock speed. That's a much more reliable sign that it's getting close to the point where it'll shut down to prevent damage.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  5. delta_42

delta_42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I'd check the stock CPU is seated properly first, that all 4 pushpins have properly clicked in. Although I'd second the recommendation for the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro, I've had one in the past and as a decent upgrade from stock without getting into silly territory it's great. Also, I just posted a classified as I've got some Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 coolers going free to a good home. It's more of a stock cooler replacement than an upgrade though.

6. Sliver

Sliver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    As mentioned, an after market cooler is going to perform a lot better than the stock coolers. 72/73°C CPU temps on a stock cooler while transcoding video sounds about right to me. The Asus software is perhaps being a little cautious by warning you. The Tj Max for the i52500K is 98°C and the consensus seems to be, allow 20°C of legroom. So you're basically getting worried when it hits 80°C and above. Obviously, lower is always better, so ideally, being mid 60's or less under heavy load would be nice. With a decent after market cooler, such as the one suggested, you should see a good 10°C drop or more under load. Remember to pick some good TIM too. The difference between good and bad TIM can be 5°C or more, so it's worth the extra few quid imo. :smashin:

Here's a great TIM comparrison review ---> Stulid Tested all of OcUK Thermal Paste Range - Overclockers UK Forums

7. doyll

doyll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What Sliver said. Your temps are what I would expect running handbrake and not too hot but 65c would be better. Whatever TIM comes with cooler is fine.

Would help to know what case you have and what cooling fans in suggesting what cooler to get.

8. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Quick update: Arctic Freezer Pro fitted using stock paste. Not gone above 60 degrees yet. Thanks for all input.

9. doyll

doyll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Good news!