1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acceptable cable lengths to projectors

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ademdb, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Ademdb

Ademdb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, my next UG I would like to be a PJ (after the missis has been beaten into submission. She just cant seem to understand why a 7' to 8' screen is so much better than the current 50" grand Wega !!) I have quite a big living room L14' x W12' x H10' so I would like to mount the PJ as far back as possible and get a good sized screen. My query is about acceptable lengths of cable. From the front of the room where the kit is, up the wall at the front and all the way to the back must be over 22'. The plan is to run an S-Video cable and Component cables to the PJ. Will this cause signal loss problems ? I cant really move the kit from the front of the room as that would entail re cabling of 1/2 the speakers at even more cost.
    On another note what are PJs like for everyday viewing - Sky Digital, Games etc ?? Never having had one its all new. Any help would be most appreciated.

regards

Ade

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    I've gone for 10m cables and they should be OK. I think quite a few people here have similar lengths or even slightly longer, so 20-25' should be fine.

General viewing will depend on the projector and ambient light. the brighter the pj, the better it will be able to handle viewing with some ambient light, but the less light the better.

Sky will usually only output RGB or composite, so if you want the best quality you'll need a coverter to s-video and feed that into the projector (unless you have a box with s-video out).

3. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In order to get 8' wide picture most projectors would need to be a between 16' to 24' away from the screen. As this would place the projector outside your room you may consider few other options
    • potentially you can mount the projector in adjoining room and create an opening on the wall. this is quite good solution as the projector's noise and heat will be dispersed elsewhere.
    • mount projector on the vertical wall opposite the screen (with lens pointing upwards) and place a mirror above it to reflect the image forward. This is similar to method used to mount rear projection systems
    • buy a projector with specil short throw lens. this is usually more expensive.
    • buy a wide angle lens attachement, this cost approx £1,100 and reduces the light output by 5%.

I run component cable to my projector that is approx 36' long so you should have no problem there. alternatively, long audio cables are cheaper than the video one, so you may think in positioning your DVD player closer to the projector.

4. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I have a TW100 and it is apoprox 12-13' from the screen and I get an 8' image.

To overcome the situation with cable length I have the equipment moved to the rear of the room

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Sony VW series throw distance is very roughly 1.5x screen width. 10m cables (Svideo and component) show no visible degradation when compared to 1.5m cables.

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    you should also check how big you really need the screen. How far back will you be sitting? You will probably need to be at least 1.5x screen width back, so for an 8ft screen you need to be sitting 12-16ft away ideally.

If you buy a 7ft screen and sit 10.5-14ft away, it'll look just as big as the 8ft and you can have the projector closer.

7. Ademdb

Ademdb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the help, Ill bear it all in mind when 'she' says yes. And she will :)

Best of the Season to you all, may you all recieve lots of toys with flashing (or otherwise) lights on