Acceptable Cabinet Temperature

david.miller

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just taken delivery of a wooden cabinet to hold my AV kit, and I'm a little concerned about the temperature. I've read Deepcore's useful thread on fitting cooling fans to a cabinet (http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3528487), and am considering doing the same.

However, I don't know much of a problem this really is for me. I only have a Sky HD box, Amp and DVD player in the cabinet, and they do get fairly warm with the door closed. However, I've drilled a couple of extra holes at the top and bottom - and obviously it has to be a bit warmer in there for convection to occur. My wife is convinced I'm worrying about nothing!

Does anyone know what sort of temperature AV components can sit in without damage? That way, I could monitor the temperature before taking the plunge and fitting fans if really necessary...

Thanks,

David

Glad you liked the thread :)

Have a look through your instruction manuals, towards the back they normally have a temperature operating range. At a rough guess try the lowest “High” valve across your kit and use that as a guide.

Hope that is of some help.

Incidentally, the amp manual says "Allow ventilation space of at least 30 cm on the top, 20 cm on the left and right, and 20 cm on the back of this unit."

Are they serious? Does anyone have this amount of space?

My RX-V620RDS has about 5 cm clearance at the back, for cables. However I have not placed anything onto to keep the vents clear.

Mine's similar at the back, and probably has about a 5cm gap above it to the shelf above. Unfortunately, the surrounding air gets pretty hot, so any convection within the cabinet doesn't cool things down much.

My RX-V620RDS has about 5 cm clearance at the back, for cables. However I have not placed anything onto to keep the vents clear.

Do you have much space between it and the shelf above?

Incidentally, for the record, the Sky HD manual says the maximum operating temperature is 45 deg. C. I must try to buy a half-decent thermometer tomorrow!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom