Accent-ism?

jamieirl

Novice Member
The world would be boring without accents, personally I quite like most of them! That's not to say I'd choose to have a heavy accent myself (as lovely as some are, e.g. Welsh accents)

When I studied linguistics we were told that most accents are assimilating and getting more similar to each other, so regional accents are slowly dying out a bit. BUT there are some strong exceptions, one of them being Scouse :laugh:

But I think some accents are hard not to associate with certain things, for right or wrong :p

Plumsandpearls

Distinguished Member
I was on the phone to the xbox call centre last week. I felt really bad as I couldn't understand what the guy I was chatting to. Had to say pardon after every sentence he said.

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member
I was on the phone to the xbox call centre last week. I felt really bad as I couldn't understand what the guy I was chatting to. Had to say pardon after every sentence he said.
I can never understand the Asian call centre workers so beloved by companies these days because they are cheap, I find it incredibly frustrating trying have a dialogue with them.

Huffypuffy

Suspended
And in case any of you think this is just yet another pointless "ism", the article gives clear examples of how this can be problematic:

I think a lot of people, myself included, who dismiss the current focus on race/gender based privilege etc would agree that the root cause is more likely to be class-ism rather than racism/sexism.

QuestShield

Distinguished Member
I felt so embarrassed. No idea where he was from

Why feel embarrassed? He spoke, you couldn't understand what he was saying. That's not accentism, that's not understanding what they were saying in their native accent, and over a phone it can be much more difficult.

Plumsandpearls

Distinguished Member
Why feel embarrassed? He spoke, you couldn't understand what he was saying. That's not accentism, that's not understanding what they were saying in their native accent, and over a phone it can be much more difficult.
Because it was just embarassing. I'm not saying it was accentism, but just having to continually ask him to repeat vhinself got old quickly.

KBD

Damn Yankee is a real term that started getting used in New York to refer to the English from farther North.
Now it's migrated farther South & people from New York might be considered Damn Yankees.

The immediate identification is usually from their accent, unless you see their vehicle license plate first.

scarty16

I was pulled by the rozzers about a decade ago on the M40 doing 90+ at 2am, just got back from a flight and driving home.

The Rozzer had what I would escribe as a local accent to that area Oxford ish area, and while I was in the car with him as he took my details I had to say "sorry can you repeat that" so many times, that he asked me if I was English :)

The latest video from AVForums

Prey + Bullet Train reviews, Heat 4K + Event Horizon 4K and all the latest movies and TV news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom