1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accent HT400 - Which VFD?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by wyerd, Jun 25, 2004.

1. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    My new Accent HT400S was delivered the other day, but the version that is supplied by the UK distributor, QuietPC, doesn’t come with the VFD unit. My question is, should I go for the Accent one as I know it fits the case and as it’s a parallel, most LCD software will support it or should I look at a USB one? All I want it to do is display data from MyHTPC, DigiTV, Zoom Player etc, so the Matrix Orbital ones are a bit overkill (& pricey too!)

2. X-Factor

X-Factor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm waiting for someone else to work out how/if a Matrix Orbital fits it. I'm sure they're only £90 odd is the Accent one not £50?? What's £40 when you've just splash out £200 on a £30 pc case with a nice front panel!!

I'm wanting a USB one as I don't fancy a cable sticking out the back.

3. groovyclam

groovyclam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Accent one is quite a small res ( 2 rows x 20 chars ) which is disappointing but it certainly looked like it would be the only one to fit in my Accent 200 case.

4. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Are you sure that it's 2 x 20? QuietPC are saying that its 2 x 16.
    What s/w do you use to control it?

5. groovyclam

groovyclam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry yes - 2x16 - even smaller!

I use LCDSmartie to write to it.

What I want is to get double-height lettering so I can have the time displayed on the front on my HTPC big enough to read from across the room. ( The VCR clock was the only clock in the living room! )

I haven't invested enough time in it yet to see if LCDSmartie can do this, but on first glance it appears it can't.

If anyone has any suggestions for LCD software that can do this please shout.

6. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Does anyone know of an alternative VFD display for this case, that connects internally, as the one usually supplied has a cable coming outside the case to connect to the parallel port. Rather ugly, inconvenient and liable to damage. I've heard that Matrix Orbital ones are USB driven and internal but can anyone confirm it will fit in the HT 400 ?

cheers

7. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Just had confirmed the Matrix Orbital VK202-24-USB will fit into the space on the Accent case ok, and is an internally powered USB display so no cables coming outside the case. The only trouble is that the mounting points don’t line up so it would have to be attached in place by another means such as hot glue.

You can see a spec on the Matrix Orbital here, Matrix Orbital VFD

8. X-Factor

X-Factor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Do you know if the 4 line version fits (VK204-24-USB) looks like it might fit according to the specs. Don't know if I really need 4 lines but it can't hurt.

It's hard to get into the case without taking it all to bits but looks like theres 77mm X28mm at the smallest point a bit more if you removed the mounting holes. I forgot to check how close the drive bay is, so not sure how that would effect things.

I couldn't see if the top/bottom of the imon PCB going around the window had any tracks on it so don't know if you could lose one of the bits to make a bit more room.

Cheers

X-Factor

9. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Not sure, if it's the same dimensions as the VK202-24-USB I see no reason why it wouldn't. It's not the most glamorous solution, glueing the VFD onto the case, but I think it's better than having cabling come outside the case.

I guess if enough people want this combo, accent or one of their suppliers might make a mounting plate for the Matrix Orbital to fit the Accent HT 400 mounting holes.

My info comes from Kustom PC's so maybe best to chat to them, they seem very helpful.