1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accent HT-400

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mikeyavman, Jan 24, 2005.

1. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I have ordered some bits for a new home cinema pc, but need some help on the case. I want the HC400 and understand it has space considerations with regard to the dvd drive and video card. I only just bought a pioneer burner, but have ordered an nec so I know it fits but I am worried about the video card.

I already have a 6600GT AGP card and 250GB WD IDE drive.

Here are the bits I ordered..

AMD (Winchester) Athlon 64bit 3200+ 939pin 512kb L2cache 90nm Retail Boxed Processor With 3 Year Warranty and Fan Included.

600w Power Supply Silver

Abit AV8-3RD Eye Skt 939 K8t800pro 8xAGP ATX Gigabit LAN, SATA150 RAID, IEEE1394, 6ch Audio, ìGuru USB2.0 Retail Box

Western Digital WD1200JD 120GB Serial ATA150 7200rpm 8mb Cache

Crucial CT6464Z40B 512mb DDR 400MHz PC3200 CL=3 Memory Module x 2

NEC ND-3520A 16x DVD R/RW Dual Layer Internal IDE Black OEM

High Quality Round IDECable ATA133 60cm in Yellow x 3

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    My advice would be to ask QuietPC, either by e-mail on on their forums, or even the phone. :) The 400's restrictions are a pain when trying to plan and things can get very tight, especially the video card IIRC.

That's what I did when in the end I settled for the HT-200, they're very friendly and helpful.

3. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    silly question - but why do you need 3 ide cables in that setup...?

4. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did that:

Thanks for your email. In answer to your question, you would need to measure the drive and refer to the website as we have no dimensions for these products.

Kind regards
    Karen

Oh, it was a cut n paste, ide's are for something else :)

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    :(, not as helpful as they once were obviously. Sorry 'bout that, maybe that's a hint as to whether you should deal with them or not, given the case is very non-standard I'd expect more help in deciding whether it was suitable.

6. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I think you have a very valid point.. £250 on a case with bits isnt cheap, I was hoping for more help too.

7. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    I have just bought and built an HT400 ... what dimensions do you want ... also got a few tips on build when you get to it ?

Jon

8. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,932
    I'm really in 2 minds what to do about a case to be honest. I like the look of the Claritas but I'd need the 390A and I can only get a 280W matx PSU for it, I'm worried that will run out of steam! I also like the look of the HT400 but what's this Imon all about? Does the Imon software kick in straightaway when the PC boots up? How does it live with Windows MCE 2005 as aren't they both trying to do the same thing? I presume an nvidia 6600GT card and a Plextor 716A (170mm) will fit in an HT400 ok?

Cheers,
    Andy.

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You don't have to use the iMon, it's completely optional :) .. it's nice because you can power-up the PC via the remote with the 'inside' version that comes with the HT boxes, however it probably won't work so well with MCE. There is a config file for use with TT IIRC.

10. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ooh thats good news :)

I have the nec 3520 on order, so that is quite short, but I am concerned about getting in the 6600gt - do you know how much space is behind the dvd drive? does the power connector on the dvd sit below or above the video card? or do you need to account for its length too?

11. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want the imon for just that, remote power on :)

I have a viewsonic 1100 tablet pc running netremote with a global cache for all the remote stuff.

12. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,932
    Well I'm getting MCE 2005 and the MCE remote so I presume I can still use that instead of Imon if I get the HT400? The other thing that's worrying me is this:-

Also, not all optical drives can accommodate the aluminium bezel supplied with the HT-400, this is due to the design of the CD tray.

How do I know if my plextor 716A drive is compatible or not?

Cheers,
    Andy.

13. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Email them.. but see above ;)

I was pretty sure my pioneer wouldnt fit, it barely did in my shuttle due to being very long.

14. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think they give some measurements don't they concerning the tray dimensions of the optical drive?

15. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,932
  16. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  17. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,932
    The 716 is shorter than the 712 at 170mm but I think it was the face plate that the review specifically mentioned was a problem with the plextor drives. Oh maybe I should just get the Claritas and have done with it...

Cheers,
    Andy.

18. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Or a 3520. :D

19. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,932
    What NEC 3520 I presume? Don't say that.. I've got an NEC 2500 and Benq 1620 sitting here and a Plextor 716A on the way! The last thing I need is another DVD drive! lol

Andy.

20. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yup, an NEC 3520A .. of course the day I fitted one of those they announced the 3530. :p

21. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From the htpcnews forum..

Hey all! Just thought I'd share my experiences and impressions of setting up the HT-400B I just received from Digital Connection.

Don't know if some of my trials were do to my inexperience, but here goes anyways!

* the new NEC 3520A Dual Layer DVD burner fits perfectly
    * my mobo (ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe) AGP's slot is moved slightly over and so graphics cards won't interfere with the optical drive
    * MSI nVidia 6600GT AGP card fits perfectly (but is the loudest component)
    * Zalman 7000Cu CPU cooler is huge but fits with the Seasonic Tornado PSU both of which are VERY quiet)

OK, now for some of my nitpicks:

* case feet! It comes with nice round "component" style feet, but they are located so far in from the front of the case you can't see them.
    * install HDD's before the CPU cooler (the Zalman blocks the ability to slide them into the drive cage (and you can't screw down the drive cages with drives mounted, obviously)
    * as TJTV pointed out, the slikscreening/etching is very faint
    * there aren't any (that I can see) HDD drive or power LED's
    * watch out for the DVD drive button - didn't realize it was in the bag with the DVD drive faceplate and I installed everything forgetting this.

For the money, I think it was a great investment. My buddy bought a D.Vine 4 (for access to USB/Firewire ports) and after changing the PSU b/c of noise issues, he might have just as well gotten this case for the same amount (plus it fits perfectly with other stero/HT equipment).

That's all I have for now! I'll be burning in my system this weekend and should have the VFD, etc. working after that's all complete.

Thanks to everyone for their comments over the last few months. It really helps to know what works vs. what doesn't to make a project successful!

22. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ditto, I have a pioneer A03 which cost me £750 and a pioneer A08. What does the 3520 have over the 3500? and what does the 3530 have over the 3520?

23. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    The front to back on the case is 380mm ... the graphics slot looks a little to the left (looking from above) to the cd-drive bay ... difficult to tell with space as the 9600se is a small card but ive got 25mm between the back of the card and the drive (nec 3500) ... I'll post a couple of photos if anyone wants while the top is off ...

Jon

24. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    mikeyavman ... guess it depends on your mobo but I didn't have any problems screwing in drive mounts with the hd in them ... it wa psu that took the space but still managed ... in fact was only real way of getting drives securiley mounted in bays as they impede screwing in on the bay sides that face each other ...

Jon

25. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. I did check the specification for the 3520 and it states 190mm. Maybe I did not need to order the drive as the Pioneer is only 198mm - although I have read about alignment issues with the front plate on the Pioneer. I would love a picture to see if the graphics card is offset enough.

Thank you for your help.

26. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Change of plans. I ordered a cheap case, Antec in black/silver. I added a card reader and ordered an iMON internal from quietpc. The unit is going to be in a cubby hole anyway.

27. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    As usual, faster burning, particularly (solely?) DL media .. the 3520 came out just at the time I was planning to buy a 3500, I don't feel the need for speed. :)

28. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh ok. I removed the 3520 and bought a bezel for the Pioneer. Should work out pretty good in the end. Total cost was £500.84p which makes me feel a bit better than the £750 if I had gone with the 400.

29. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I just finished building a system with this case including the acoustic pack.

I too when for the Asus Mobo as it allows the graphic card to not interfere with the read of the DVD - I used the NEC 3500.

You can get the new zalman cooler on the graphic card and just get the lid on - I would not place anything on top of the case though as it must be touching the fins of the cooler.

Excellent case, although with two 250gb h/d it does get cramped in there.

Imon does work well and was easy to get to work with Theatertek 2.

Good luck with the build - just remember to be gentle removing the front of the DVD drive and stick the ali drive cover on FIRST to the drive then place it in the case.

Rgds

30. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am still going to get the case, but will wait until after I move :)

Thanks for all those who offered advice.