ac97 spdif out vs a good quality sound cards spdif out

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by fallwood, Oct 12, 2004.

1. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Me again, on a posting frenzy today. Is their any difference in quality between the spdif out on my ac97 onboard sound as opposed to a good quality soundcards spdif output (audigy etc). I know the spdif send out raw bitstream that my amp decodes but I did notice an improvement in sound when i last upgraded my settop dvd player , im assuming that their is some processing done by the soundcard to get the stream from the dvd to the spdif output which could vary the qualty or are all spdif outputs equally good.

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,226
    The only issue I have with the AC97 onboard is it never syncs very well with directdraw and you get stutter issues when playing back video material. However installing reclock sorted this for me.

Previously I was using an maudio 2496 which doesn't suffer the sync problems ( probably because it has a decent onboard clock that ties everything together and makes reclock unecessary)

However qualitywise the spdif were identical for dvd and digital TV. You may have some kmixer upsample issues with the AC97 on cd audio that may not be fixable.

3. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    what are you using now Mr D.?

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,226
    AD1985 SoundMAX onboard my asus P4c800-E deluxe with reclock again although TT2 doesn't seem to like this much and I may have to reinstall the maudio2496 and dump reclock.

I'd use the maudio if the HTPC ever got any use as a jukebox but its so rare as to be not worthwhile ( I do most of my music listening at work).

I've never really used the maudio for games though which worries me a bit .