Question AC3/DTS output/passthrough on LG 55UK6950PLB issues

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by markangeltrueman, Aug 18, 2018.

1. markangeltrueman

markangeltrueman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

So I just replaced my lightning damaged Sony with the LG 55UK6950PLB. Love the TV so far but was wondering if I am missing something with regards to DTS/AC3.

I have the TV connected up to my (slightly ageing) Denon AVR1906 receiver which is DTS and Dolby Digital capable, using an optical cable from the back of the TV and into the receiver.

I've done checks with my Xbox to make sure the receiver is configured correctly (the receiver displays "Dolby Digital" when connected through xbox optical)

Two problems that I have.
    1. When using the integral Freesat tuner in the TV, none of the channels seems to output in anything other than stereo. My receiver only ever shows its "NEO 6:C" mode, which I believe is it's attempt to interpret a 2 channel input.
    2. I get the same using the integrated DNLA browser in webOS. DNLA server is Plex running on an iMac and connected into the TV with ethernet cable.
    I've tried numerous sound settings in the standard menu and even changed the EDID type in the service menu on the telly but that makes no difference either.

Has anyone got any ideas on what i need to do, if anything, to get this TV to output at least a dolby digital signal from the optical out on the back.

Thanks

Mark

EDIT : I found the following on another forum, I hadnt done the final step. Is that safe to do?

"If you can access the service menu go to option 7 and change it from
    pcm to DTS. Then go to edid d/l and press start. "

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  2. SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +785
    Only the HD channels are capable of offering surround sound (except ITV HD with offers stereo only). However, very little content is available in surround sound.

Ideally, the 'DTV Audio Setting' (within the 'Sound' options) needs to be set to 'Auto'. And your receiver will need to be configured correctly...

3. markangeltrueman

markangeltrueman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. Receiver is definitely configured properly, i've had it a good few years :)
    The one thing that i havent been able to do is this in service mode

"If you can access the service menu go to option 7 and change it from
    pcm to DTS. Then go to edid d/l and press start. "

I have been able to change from PCM to DTS but i cannot find any option for edid dl and start. It seems that this might fix my issue from what i've read. I might have to call LG to get details, apparently they can get an engineer to help out.

4. SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +785
    You don't need to visit the service menu to get the TV to output Dolby Digital or DTS audio as a bit-stream. Indeed, if you don't know exactly what you're doing, fiddling around with the service menu settings can do more harm than good!

Just-so-you-know.... Freeview (DVB-T2) does not offer DTS audio, it supports the HE-AAC audio format (in either 2 channel stereo or multi-channel), either of which is automatically transcoded by the TV to a Dolby Digital bit-stream prior to being passed from your TV to your receiver via HDMI or optical SPDIF.