AC Power Supplies

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by dskphoto, Aug 22, 2006.

1. dskphoto

dskphoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Sharp Camcorder (vl-z1h) from Comet at the weekend. Manager's special, unit only for £30. I thought at that price and also the fact that it came with a 12 month guarantee it would be worth a gamble.

I have been looking around the web for accessories, so far I have bought a charger and two batteries for £20, DV cable for £5 and downloaded the manual for free from Sharp.

I also wanted to get an AC power supply but can only find Sharp's own make with retails around £90, considering what I paid for the cam and the price of 2nd hand cams on ebay this is too much.

So basically my question is can you use a generic AC power supply for camcorders ? I know the supplier says you must use their own make, but doing some maths (If I remember my ohm's law correctly !) the power consumption is 3.6W and the DC is 7.4V so I am looking at around 500 milliamps current ? Are manufactorer's power supplies that cost for a reason or is there just a huge mark-up ?

thanks in advance

2. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
  3. dskphoto

dskphoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks K, :thumbsup:

don't know how I didn't spot them, tried all sort of searches on ebay.