1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Abuse Of The HD Logo

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Binternet, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Binternet

Binternet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It seems that the DSG have decided that they are the ones who decide which sets are HD ready and are sticking the damn logos over sets which are no where near meeting the offical criteria. Now it appears that you have to sign a contract with EICTA to use the logo, and part of it says the logo can only be used on equipment that meets the minimum requirement. Not that I would ordinarily complain about this but I am sure some poor people will be buying sets which are not what they wanted.

2. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    I saw a a Sharp set GA5E which does not meet the high def spec with a sticker on saying 'HD Compatible'. There was also a JVC with a sticker saying just 'HD' when again I don't think it is. Both these labels used the same typeface as 'HDTV Ready'. This sort of thing is going to confuse people. How about starting a 'sticky' which lists all the newer fully HDTV ready sets as they appear ?'

3. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is probably initiated by Sharp, as I saw the same thing in the Netherlands.
    HD labeling is normally not an issue here because there are no transmissions and no intentions to start any (save the lame attempt by EURO1080), so it sticks out.

Manufacturers seem to be eager to push their incompatible products as HD compatible, but it should be the stores that screen this and remove inappropriate claims. After all, in the end they are the ones that are responsible for any claims made during the sale.

4. CoolCurly

CoolCurly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Currently the manufacturers do not recognise ANY standardisation on what defines HD Ready.

This will not happen until the end of the year according to my source at manufacturer.

Currently, as long as the resolution is high enough then companies can say HDTV compatible. Not fair really, but until the licensing on the HDMi and other connections is sorted in the US, expect to see most things branded as HDTV Compatible.

Damm confussing though....

5. boab_is

boab_is

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The EICTA "HD Ready" logo is only supposed to be used on screens that are:

1366x768

HDMI Compatible (including HDCP)

However, Sharp have been advertising their new entry level LCDs as "HD Compatible" which presumably means they have component inputs that can take 1080i/720p, but lack resolution and HDMI.

A TV can be "HD Compatible" without being "HD Ready". Not confusing at all.... :lease:

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Nope not 1366x768 but have 720 lines or a vertical res of 720 pixels hence PV500 are HD ready being 1024x768(42") and 1024x720 (37") EICTA guidlines have been posted on the forum many times before
    http://www.eicta.org/Content/Default.asp?PageID=249
    suggest you contact EICTA see here:http://www.eicta.org/Content/Default.asp?PageID=174 if you feel there are manufacturers/retailers breaching the spec

7. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Agreed, very confusing. Sharp aren't on the official list of brands licenced to use the HD-Ready logo - see http://www.eicta.org/dls/Common/GetFile.asp?&logonname=guest&ID=10575&mfd=off for a list of brands. JVC are, so should know better.

8. BryanKitts

BryanKitts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You mean like this (except it's not sticky)?

9. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Maybe I have misread the thread, but were does Sharp state they are HD Ready?
    I ask as I think it is the retailers that are doing this.
    I went into my local AV shop (They do still exist) and didn't find a label on the GA5 they have there. Asked them after reading this thread and they said that retailers are doing it to push sales.....
    Suppose after purchase you could take them to trading standards, but most people may not know for 1-5 years after whatever they are using outputs Hi-def. Would they be entitled to a refund or some money back....Doubt it.