1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Absolutlely & Who Dares Wins

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by TonyA, Apr 4, 2005.

1. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    On tonight's 50 most popular comedy sketches on Channel 4 they showed a couple of sketches from Absolutley and Who Dares Wins.

Both shows were absolutely (no pun intended) briliiant - so why no DVD "best of" compiliations, or better still complete series releases?

And on the subject of Channel 4 releases - how come the Harry Hill TV series has never been released on DVD?

Channel 4 is sitting on some real TV gold here, and its about time the next generation saw these comedy gems.

T.

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,375
    Re-Who Dares Wins I wonder why Ch4 have never repeated tis show lately it was one of the best if nt the best comedy show they ever made.

3. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    I suppose that a lot of Who Dares Wins content was topical for the time it went out (much like Not the Nine O'Clock News - perhaps this is why they've been sat on.

Have to agree it was a real funny show.

This is what really bugs me - You get shows that are repeated endlessly (e.g. Only Fools and Horses), and yet some real comedy gold has been shown the once and never seen the light of day again (Who Dares Wins, Pushing Up the Daises, The Strangerers etc...)

If they're not going to show them again, at least a DVD release would be in order.

T.

4. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    "Who Dares Wins" was a TV version of the Radio 4 series "Injury Time". It looks like there is nothing available for Injury Time at the BBC Shop. As far as I can remember, Who Dares Wins did some of the same sketches as Injury Time. Perhaps there is some dispute over copyright. I'm sure I've got some old tapes of Injury Time somewhere. Must be in a bit of state by now.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,375
    Anybody remember any of the sketches?

The one I remember is the curry house one were a bunch of guys try to out do each other by ordering the hottest curry.
    Two Pandas and the opening credits with the filthy fridge full of mold and the and some guy getting something out to eat.

I also remember Tony Robinson coming on totally nude. :eek:

6. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    It was one of the Panda sketches that was in the top 50 "Panda's and the Japanese Tourists".

They also showed the nude Tony Robinson "Emporers New Clothes" sketch.

Most of the series is a bit of a blur to me now, especially as its never been re-shown!

Absolutley was the "Stoneybridge" sketch where, the councilors of Stoneybridge had put in a bid to host the Olympics.

Channel 4 should consider doing a comedy weekend or something - and show some of the older shows again, including Desmonds, Chelmsford 123, Pushing Up Daises, The Management, Harry Hill etc... etc...

In fact when you look back - Channel 4 has probably been one of the braveset broadcasters in terms of comedy (along with BBC2 - and now BBC3), but its such as shame that so much has just dissapeared over time.

A lot of it probably wont have stood the test of time, but I'm sure there's a lot that has.

T.

7. El_JimBob

El_JimBob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone remember Channel 4's rare Vic & Bob gem, 'The Weekenders'?
    Now that was brave :D

8. castle

castle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The WDW sketch that I remember most vividly involved a cat going to the vets to be neutered and the thought's of the cat being spoken aloud by Jimmy Mulville. His owner was Tony Robinson Julia Sumerville was a fellow pet owner. Phillip Pope was the Vet.

Very funny sketch.

Why do I remember this after all these years?!

Couldn't agree more that a DVD is long overdue.

9. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    El JimBob - Yes!!! I remember it very well (with the guest appearance by the Human League's Phil Oakey!).

I must have saw this about 8 times when I went on holiday to Florida many years ago - it was playing on one of the channels on Virgin Atlantic, on the way over, and on the way back! :thumbsup:

Is it ture that nostalgia is a thing of the past?? :D

T.

10. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    Found my Injury Time tapes. They're a bit ropey. I've been listening in the car going to work.
    One sketch which I think did migrate to WDW is the one with a talk show featuring various gang members (punk etc) discussing stuff. Can't say more without giving it all away. Also some dreadful Emma Thompson stuff (IIRC she was replaced in WDW by the randy neighbour from 2point4 children).

11. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    I saw the live stage version of Who Dares Wins at the Sheffield Crucible.

They did the Emporers new clothes sketch again. Now if anyone remembers the original, Tony Robinson wanders out later on in the show still looking for his clothes. In the stage version, he just appeared halfway back in the auditorium (stark naked), and proceeded to shimmie his way across one of the rows of the audience...getting groped by half the women in the process :rotfl: