• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Absolutely Everything!

TonyA

Prominent Member
At last they've released a DVD box set of the late 80's, early 90's Channel 4 comedy show: "Absolutely", to mark it's "19th and a bit anniversary", and contains every episode from each of the 4 series, plus an additional disk of extras.

I got mine delivered from play.com this morning, and have been laughing my socks off all day!

This show has been hidden away for far too long and has rarely been repeated (never on terrestrial TV, and only once on Paramount Comedy about 8 years ago!). It was previously only available in two "best of" VHS "vido" tapes that were release in the early 90's.

Although the fashions, some of the music, and hair styles are well entrenched in their time, the comedy is as fresh and funny as it was when originally broadcast.

It's great to see characters like Morwena Banks' "Little Girl", John Sparkes unlucky old age pensioner "Bert" (surely a prototype for the Fast-Show's "Unlucky Alf"), "Mr Don & Mr George", "Callum Gillhoolie", "MacGlashan" who hates everything that's English and protests that the Scottish invented everything (about 10 years before Goodness Gracious Me, said that it was "Indian"!), and my favourites, the DIY loving "Denzil" and his long suffering wife "Gwyneth".

If you're unfamiliar with the show, there's a great fan site out there: http://www.absolutelyandy.com/absolutely/ which is endorsed by the Absolutely Team, and has pretty much been flying the flag for the program for a number of years.

Andy Leitch

Established Member
It's about damn time. :thumbsup:

I remember watching this via my Panasonic NV-F70 and being gob-smacked by the NICAM stereo sound, in my first HC setup. :rotfl::smashin:

The best sketch though must be the musings of Frank Hovis on the bog. Classic stuff.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom