Question Absolutely baffled - a question of resolution maybe ? Onkyo Samsung Panasonic

scotthillier

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

Long term home cinema buyer who has just hit a brick wall in his knowledge and hoping for a bit of help.

I've a Panasonic DMP-BD320 bluray going into an Onkyo TX-NR809 receiver. From there it was going to an LG tv and Epson projector, but I've just put a new TV in. A Samsung UE55HU8500 tv.
I've done nothing else except swap one tv for another.

My bluray player will now put a picture up on my TV when it's menu is showing.
If I put some discs in - a picture shows up.
Other discs - none.

Ie - Deja Vu - Picture Appears
How To Train Your Dragon 3D - No picture.
No disc, just Bluray player menu - No picture.

On the projector - the picture is always there.
I can always hear the sound coming out of the receiver.

I'm baffled.
I've tried changing the output resolution from receiver from Through to 1080p even to 4K upscale - no change.

Can anyone think of what might cause this ? Can't see how it can be cables because they've not been changed, and the problem seems movie specific.

On the old tv - pictures for everything.

Gah! Driving me crazy.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

I'd say its worth trying a different cable purely for elimination purposes. There can be quite a difference in different devices with their HDMI inputs and outputs, especially if your cable is borderline.

It could also be that your previous TV was a 720P set so the demands on the cable would be much greater. The cable I mentioned above is fine at 720P with all my sources and TVs but at 1080P only some combinations of devices work.

Ensure all of your connected devices are running the latest Firmware the various manufacturers have available.

Reboot - have you had everything simultaneously powered Off at the wall.

When you struggle with certain discs on the TV what happens if you the then power up the Projector (without making any other changes).

Try 'toggling the AVR HDMI Output between A, B and A+B - I have seem similar problems in the past that were down to how the AVR was handling EDID and HDCP between old/new generation gear.

Joe

I'd say its worth trying a different cable purely for elimination purposes. There can be quite a difference in different devices with their HDMI inputs and outputs, especially if your cable is borderline.

It could also be that your previous TV was a 720P set so the demands on the cable would be much greater. The cable I mentioned above is fine at 720P with all my sources and TVs but at 1080P only some combinations of devices work.

Thanks for the suggestion Jamie. If it comes to that I'll try. But the old tv was 1080p and the Onkyo is outputting at a fixed 1080p to eliminate that problem.

Ensure all of your connected devices are running the latest Firmware the various manufacturers have available.

Reboot - have you had everything simultaneously powered Off at the wall.

When you struggle with certain discs on the TV what happens if you the then power up the Projector (without making any other changes).

Try 'toggling the AVR HDMI Output between A, B and A+B - I have seem similar problems in the past that were down to how the AVR was handling EDID and HDCP between old/new generation gear.

Joe

Thanks Joe

Up to date on firmware, never thought of putting the projector on, though obviously thats not a long term fix I'll give it a try.

Have tried toggling between outputting to just 1 or the other and it didnt fix it.

All annoyingly baffling. Will give that a whirl though, thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion Jamie. If it comes to that I'll try. But the old tv was 1080p and the Onkyo is outputting at a fixed 1080p to eliminate that problem.
If you can't easily try another cable it might be worth dropping to 720P as a test, the demands on a cable is a lot less at 720P. Certainly I found with the dodgy cable I had it would reliably work at 720P and was flaky at 1080P, working OK with some kit, not with other combinations of devices.

If you can't easily try another cable it might be worth dropping to 720P as a test, the demands on a cable is a lot less at 720P. Certainly I found with the dodgy cable I had it would reliably work at 720P and was flaky at 1080P, working OK with some kit, not with other combinations of devices.

Yeah but I've been outputting 1080p along my existing cable for years ?

Worth trying HDMI 4 input on the TV. Had a number of issues with HDMI 1-3 and certain (typically on a video matrix to be fair).

Yeah but I've been outputting 1080p along my existing cable for years ?

I think that the point being made is that the new TV may be more demanding in respects of the signal it recieves than your old one.

Trying to explain simply - it could be that your old TV required a signal strength of 85 and your new one 95 - if your cable is delivering a 90 then it would work on your old set but not on your new.

HDMI cables are not like old analogue ones whereby the signal would degrade and the picture would become worse - HDMI is digital - they are either good enough or they are not.

If you get a picture via the PJ then the cables between the Blu Ray and the AVR are OK and the issue is between the AVR and the TV.

Well a change of cable sorted, thanks everyone.
I put the old cable back in, and put it into the old tv - picture appears.
Put old cable into new tv - picture disappears.
Voodoo.

Annoyingly - old cable is nicely chased into a freshly decorated wall.
Won't be doing THAT with the new one. So now have a small amount of cable on show after all my efforts to hide the last one.

:(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom