Absolute OLED rabbit hole

Thrawnn

Standard Member
Hi guys, wondering if you can give your options…

I’m about to pull the trigger and move on from my 55inch LG C7. I’ve been watching videos, reviews, comments etc… on the best oled to buy. Every time I think I settled for one model, I go back to square one.
I’m definitely making the jump to 65 inch.

I was originally settled on the A80J, but I’m afraid it will be too dim, and that semi gloss coating…
Then I looked at the A90J. I could go for it, but at a stretch and I’m not sure it justifies the more than 1k difference on the a80j.
The G1 looks very good, but it can’t go on my wall, and coming from LG already, I’m afraid it won’t have a big impact. Plus no DTS support.
The Panasonic jz1500 looks great also, but again, no DTS and looks like this year the Panasonics have taken a small step back compared to last year…

I want to pull the trigger during January, but if I’m going to spend the money, I want something that will look and feel distinctly better than my C7…

Anybody that has gone through the same process recently?

Thanks

Dodgexander

The OLEDs haven't made a huge improvement since 2017, but certainly a bigger TV will have more impact.

If you want to see the biggest difference then you do want to aim for top of line models with the new panel+cooling backplate, such as the Sony A90J.

You could also consider Samsung's LCD TVs QN94A and up, they will give you some downsides due to LCD tech, but can also get a lot brighter for more impact with HDR.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Not exactly the same but I had the C6. My friend bought a QN95a so had the chance to help him setup and have a good look. Coming from OLED I just wouldn’t recommend it. Unless you just want a lot of brightness. It’s great for very punchy image. But beyond that…not for me.

Unless you really don’t like OLED I think it’s hard moving back to LCD.

Thrawnn

Standard Member
Thanks for the replies guys.

I totally get what you mean with the LCD TVs, as what I’m looking for is a meaningful change. But I agree also that moving away from OLED is practically impossible, if you like it that is.

My biggest worry is the difference between all this top end OLEDs we’re talking difference in the high hundreds and sometime more than 1k. I guess I can always order something not as expensive and if not happy, return it and go for the A90J…

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the replies guys.

I totally get what you mean with the LCD TVs, as what I’m looking for is a meaningful change. But I agree also that moving away from OLED is practically impossible, if you like it that is.

My biggest worry is the difference between all this top end OLEDs we’re talking difference in the high hundreds and sometime more than 1k. I guess I can always order something not as expensive and if not happy, return it and go for the A90J…
Yeah I went from C6 to CX recently. Very happy. But the upgrades really are mainly gaming features. But I game a lot.

My C6 died anyway. But yeah I’d say that you won’t get the wow you did from your first OLED. And I get that makes upgrading less exciting.

I’m pretty locked in to buying year old models now for that reason. The panels haven’t changed much aside from some reduced burn in risk.

martin 39

I went from a Panasonic 55fz802b to a sony 65 a8 For sport its a lot better and ive just had it calabrated to my eyes it looks truly stunning watching 4k movies in the dark. Tv looks brilliant to. I dont game so no 2.1 has no effect on me. The daughter rarely puts her ps5 or xbox onto the tv and that seems fine but as i said i dont game. Just moving to 65 from about 10ft is the best upgrade i could of done. Hope this helps in some way

Thrawnn

Standard Member
I went from a Panasonic 55fz802b to a sony 65 a8 For sport its a lot better and ive just had it calabrated to my eyes it looks truly stunning watching 4k movies in the dark. Tv looks brilliant to. I dont game so no 2.1 has no effect on me. The daughter rarely puts her ps5 or xbox onto the tv and that seems fine but as i said i dont game. Just moving to 65 from about 10ft is the best upgrade i could of done. Hope this helps in some way
Thanks Martin,

I am moving from 55 to 65 and sit 9 feet away, so very much looking forward to the upgrade.
I am going to move from LG to Sony mainly because of DTS support.

Just deciding between the a90j or the a80j now.

martin 39

When i had mine calabrated the guy owns a a90j and after mine was done he said it was 90% as good as good as the a90 weather there is any truth in that i dont no. But dolby vision dark now looks brilliant on films so much so even the mrs had to agree

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom