Absolute novice needing your much appreciated advice :)

joey87

Novice Member
Hello!!
I am very new to the world of hifi! But after a crazy year working in the NHS I decided to treat myself and build my first separates system.

I've been recommended by a couple of pals that the Rega RP1 for the turntable so I am looking for a amp to pair with this. But I'm on a little bit if a budget, about £150 or $200 andI know that I definitely want a inbuilt phono preamp.

I've spent a fair bit of time on forums so I know that the main advice is going to be go and have yourself a listen and see what your ears tell you, but with work, and the craziness of cover that is not going to be possible.

I have see a technics amplifier SU-V303 for sale, which cosmetically I think is very sexy, and includes a tuner which would be a nice touch.
Would this be a good entry level amp for me and a good pairing for the Rega?
Or would I be better off going for something newer like a Marantz pm5004/5005 or a Cambridge AM10? More likely to find a Cambridge in my price range it seems

If anyone has any advice or thoughts it would be much appreciated!!

Joey

acgingersnaps

Hi. It would help to know which speakers you have/are getting.

joey87

Novice Member
Well as a complete newbie at all this stuff, I am just going on general consensus of things I have read. But was thinking of bookshelf size. So perhaps something like PSB Alphas or Wharedale Dimonds? But very much up for suggestions.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Room size?

dogfonos

When considering amp and speakers, I believe the initial decision should concern the type of system you want, i.e. passive or active.

Because you haven't purchased either amp or speakers yet, you still have this choice to make. From experience,. I know that a well-chosen active speaker based setup will sound better than an equivalently priced amp + passive speaker setup. However, from your post, I can see that the active speaker approach may be a bit 'left field' for you - and if the suggestion makes you uncomfortable, then stick with amp + passive setup - you can still get decent sound for your budget, if not the best.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Overall budget? Roughly.....

budget means nothing to these ruffians ;)

Hixs

Distinguished Member
That's for turntable, amp and speakers?

joey87

Novice Member
Unfortuently yes, would love to spend more, but my girlfriend would kill me hahaha! Happy to go second hand though, in fact that is the plan!

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Here’s a quick taster for your budget -

Technics TN300 turntable that has a built in phono stage £200 but offers so may be get a bit off.

However, if this advert is legit and they will post this is a real bargain, Teac TN350 for £100, I would snap this up and then sort out amp and speakers after. Well worth contacting to discuss.

Passive preamp to control volume and has second input if you add a cd/streamer or other source later. £23

Amazon product
Add a pair of powered studio monitors as per post by @dogfonos, these m-audio bx6 should fill you room well. £219.

this takes you a tad over budget with £25 budget for cables But will give you a pretty decent system for £450 with the TN300 or if you can get the TN350 on gumtree then you are well under and I would suggest other speakers. If that is too far over budget then the M-audio BX5 D3 or JBL LSR305 are small and cheaper second hand.

I will see what I can find passive but at £400 budget that will be a struggle.

Last edited:

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
so, I like a challenge - passive turntable, amp, speakers for £400 - here we go.

Assuming you can get that Teac Turntable at £100 (may be a big if).

Add a Nad C320 BEE, make sure it is the BEE version, lovely warm sounding amp well suited to vinyl. £125 is about middle ground for it, may get one cheaper.

kef iq3 stand mount speakers. These are top of the price range (£125-200).

or these slightly newer Kef Q300’s.

Last edited:

acgingersnaps

so, I like a challenge - passive turntable, amp, speakers for £400 - here we go.

Add a Nad C320 BEE, make sure it is the BEE version, lovely warm sounding amp well suited to vinyl. £125 is about middle ground for it, may get one cheaper.

That is some fine gear you've found. Kudos.

Paul7777x

If I was the op I’d stop now and buy these.

Top class sir :thumbsup:

joey87

Novice Member
Thank you SOO much

THANK YOU SO MUCH! That is really appreciated, that you for taking the time! All the good karma to you sir!

Just out of curiosity do you (or anyone else) have anything thoughts on this?

Paul7777x

Thank you SOO much

THANK YOU SO MUCH! That is really appreciated, that you for taking the time! All the good karma to you sir!

Just out of curiosity do you (or anyone else) have anything thoughts on this?

Cheap enough. And probably a fine amplifier in its day.

But it’s very old (1984) so I’d avoid it simply on the basis that it’s probably worn out.

joey87

Novice Member
So always nice to give some feedback....
I got the Teac TN350 posted for a total of £110

NAD C320BEE for £85

Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 for £100

What do you think?

One question i do hae looking at it all (the amp arrives 10 mins ago) do i need a phono preamp? As the NAD doesnt have one or is it built into the turntable?

Paul7777x

You have a very respectable hifi there. And at a very good price.

I think it was all around £700 new, probably a bit more... so a bargain.

And the Teac has a built in phonostage so there’s no need for a stand-alone one.

I hope you enjoy it.

Pop back and let us know :smashin:

joey87

Novice Member
You have a very respectable hifi there. And at a very good price.

I think it was all around £700 new, probably a bit more... so a bargain.

And the Teac has a built in phonostage so there’s no need for a stand-alone one.

I hope you enjoy it.

Pop back and let us know :smashin:

Stupid question, can I plug it into any output on the back on the amp?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom