Absolute newbe. What do i need?

B

bacci

Hi,

You've all been asked this a trillion times I know but..........I've decided to purchase my first 42" plasma tv but after reading about a million reviews on a thousand plasma screens i'm still none the wiser :(

I have around £1200 to spend and wondered if you guys could point me in the right direction on make and model. Is there a good plasma out there that the majority are happy with?

What would i need to set up the new plasma correctly, i've seen things from boards to amps mentioned on here but would i need them?

Also i have been looking at the special forum plasma buy on here, is this a good plasma and where are the speakers?

Many thanks,

:lease:

Sorry forgot to mention that I'm quite interested in the Hyundai HPTN4200S and the LG RZ42PX11 (but I haven't managed to find one of these to check it out).

Anymore ideas would be gratefully received ;)

Just found the LG 42px3rva as well.........................help!

peterakastorm said:
The PWD7 ;) Great offer, and yes you may need a Home Cinema System...

Would i be able to use my Technics dvd/stereo system instead?

Yup... I would think so. You might also wanna notice that there is no tuner integrated - thats an accessory... Don't know much about the english television, but if you have a box, we call "Selector" in Denmark, you don't need the tuner... Or even a VCR or a DVD-recorder.

I think my Sky box would act as the tuner anyway ....................... i think!

Yeah, exactly... thats the "Selector" box in Denmark I'm talking about... So then your off ;) Right in your budget, and a GREAT screen, according to alot of the people in here.

Cool :cool:

What about the two i am already interested in?

Has anyone hung a plasma in a corner? I was wondering because thats where mine will be and i thought it would be pretty cool to hang it there!

Don't know about the other two screens... sorry, but I'm sure some in here does. But the best of luck! I'm also getting my first plasma ever, this month! Still haven't fully decided yet, but I'm close ;)

Good luck to you too!

You wouldn't think it would be that hard choosing a telly :eek:

Does anyone have anymore recommendations for around a grand that may have slipped my net?

What about the Aldi ones? Any good or steer clear??

Their is a large thread on the Aldi Screen, general advice avoid. Take the advice from the forums get a PW7 a far better screen for not a lot more mony (my setup just over £1200), than these so called budget screens using out of date Korean screens.

I bought the Hyundai plasma as that was the one with most connections, and the insurance company didn't give me much choice!

You can hang it in the corner of a room, just bear in mind that the bracket is more expensive if it swivels, and if you put it high up it will also have to tilt down to get rid of glare from windows etc. looking for the correct bracket is a whole search on its own - I went for the Vogels as it had a god rep, and it was easy to fit.

Also putting it across two corners would, in my mind, negate the purpose of having a slim TV as it would take up more room than a CRT.

If, like me you aren't connecting the outside aerial to the TV then a tuner isn't required as it will get its signal from sky and DVD etc which again is why I wanted something with plenty of connections so I could also add PS2, camcorder etc.

getting the right cables is another days research, then a couple of days learning how they should be installed! i learnt everything off this site, bought stuff off the traders and used e-bay as well as high street shops.

I wish there was a service that let you try the expensive cables to see if it is worth the extra money (would I notice the difference?)

All the best

Thats good advice from Steve...avoid like the plague screens such as Daewoo, Goodmans and Tiny even if it means stretching your budget a bit further to go for one of the well respected names such as pw7 from Panasonic...you wont regret it

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom