1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Absolute beginner

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by paulus, Oct 16, 2002.

1. paulus

paulus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Three weks ago I hadn't the first idea about TV's, DVD's digi boxes, Dolby Digital, etc. Now our 12 year old TV is showing its age and its time to buy a modern setup.

I apologise in advance for yet another newbie question. I have searched through old articles to try and educate myself but its a steep learning curve. Anyway, my budget is around £1000 for a complete set up.

I want a 32" flat screen with decent sound. My first plan was to buy a Toshiba 32ZP18P/Q (£1015 from Robertsons-online) but friends of mine say that I don't really need a 100 hz set and that it would be better to buy a Nicam set and get my Dolby 5.1 sound from a decent DVD player. As we need to buy a DVD player eventually, this makes some sense to me.

I can buy a 50hz Nicam Sony KV32LS35S for £700 which leaves me about £300 to spend on a good DVD player and speakers. Does this seem a better option than the Tosh with its built in Dolby etc? I will be buying a Pace digibox whatever set I chose.

Sorry to go on. Thanks for your time.

2. New Bloke

New Bloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    A grand might be limiting you options when you want to buy a ZP18Q but you could buy the following:

Option One:

Toshiba 32ZP18Q £1015.00
    +
    Toshiba SD220E Multiregion £129.99 (www.shopsmart.co.uk)

TOTAL £1144.99

Neat and simply, may not be the best but for an entry level system, What Hifi Sound & Vision recommend the following

Goodmans 28" GTV69W5 £330.00 RRP
    LG DVD5253 £100.00 RRP
    Creative Inspire 5700 5.1 System £250.00 RRP

TOTAL £680.00 RRP