About Zyxel NSA325

atoprak

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for a proper NAS solution for my home network usage.
I will store music and video files mostly and stream them with WD TV Live and later .. may be SONOS or similar hifi streaming device.

As I have no experience on NAS, I am looking for a flexible and easy solution to maintain. (Although I am in computer business, I don't want to spend time to fix that regularly)

I have checked Zyxel solution and so far looks promising

NSA325 | ZyXEL

What do you think about that solution ... ? ..
Do you have any similar solution in that price ranges (100-200usd)..

Thank you

Hi

My situation is very similar to yours, I purchased a Zyxel 310 (single bay with and old 500GB drive) from the bay as cheap test to see if it met my needs, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

I have moved all my music and movies on to it (slow process, but via USB ended up being the quickest solution) all the computers in the house connect to its shares as well as WDTV, Sonos and iPad via the built in twonky media server.

Set up was very easy and I have it running round the house via homeplugs.

As a very reasonably priced first NAS experiment it has fitted my needs very well, there are loads of features I have yet to try like dropbox etc but all seem easy to set up and the support on the zyxel forums is very helpful

Hope this helps.

milkmanchris said:
I have moved all my music and movies on to it (slow process, but via USB ended up being the quickest solution) all the computers in the house connect to its shares as well as WDTV, Sonos and iPad via the built in twonky media server.

I was thinking of getting one of the 325s too, (really good price at Dabs). Do you remember what sort of transfer rate you got via USB as I would need to use this as don't have a gigabit connection on laptop?

I have just purchased Zyxel 325 with 3TB WD - so far I am very happy. I have got it connected to router. I am using it for listening music (flac also 24/96) on Marantz SR6006 A/V (no need to spend additional 400 pounds on Network Streamer) and streaming movies on Marantz UD7006 Blu-ray Player. Both connected to router with cable for more connection stablilty.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/networking-nas/1764625-new-zyxel-nsa325.html
My post with questions about connectivity. Connected with network cable my transfers between laptop and Zyxel are around 25MB/s.

The only solution I am looking for now, is a player...Marantz A/V interface is pretty basic and (I am used to Winamp) hard to operate.

Last edited:
I was thinking of getting one of the 325s too, (really good price at Dabs). Do you remember what sort of transfer rate you got via USB as I would need to use this as don't have a gigabit connection on laptop?

Hi

It was struggling to manage around 15MB/sec with the small files.#

The reviews all make mention of the slow transfer speeds, I did it little by little using a 16GB stick

Hope this helps.

Hi

It was struggling to manage around 15MB/sec with the small files.#

The reviews all make mention of the slow transfer speeds, I did it little by little using a 16GB stick

Hope this helps.
I transferred quickly by connecting my HDD to an SATA to USB3 convertor and connected it to the NSA325 USB3 port and then copied via the telnet session and it copied really quickly. Can't remember the speed, but I remember thinking - wow that was quick!

I transferred quickly by connecting my HDD to an SATA to USB3 convertor and connected it to the NSA325 USB3 port and then copied via the telnet session and it copied really quickly. Can't remember the speed, but I remember thinking - wow that was quick!

Cheers, I did read a post somewhere similar elsewhere, only problem is most of my files were on a WD passport, little blighters to open, was a worthwile task doing it by bit was able to improve on ID3 tags and get better artwork for all the files.

Also enjoyed listening to stuff I had forgotten I had.

Thanks for the tip though :)

Hi All

Have just read this thread and have a question.

We have a home network, have about 500 gig of music files in I tunes format. Have DVD's / Blu rays tht are not yet ripped.

We require a storage device to play the music on in a number of rooms, not necessarily at the same time, but maybe.

We have Apple TV's to link to TV and Hi Fi's.

If we bought this gizmo, with relevant hard drives, will I be able to play back my content through I Tunes remotely? If I up date my content ( a new CD or rip a DVD) on my Mac Book, will it update automatically to the NAS?

OK, 2 questions not one, but I am sure there will be more...

Thanks

Andy

Another question!

The tech specs say this works with Windows XXX. We use Mac Books.

Will we be able to operate this?

Thanks

Hi All

Have just read this thread and have a question.

We have a home network, have about 500 gig of music files in I tunes format.

If we bought this gizmo, with relevant hard drives, will I be able to play back my content through I Tunes remotely? If I up date my content ( a new CD or rip a DVD) on my Mac Book, will it update automatically to the NAS?

Andy

Yes, you may have to google the best way of doing this but basically.

Put all of the media files onto the 325. Drag, drop or copy paste.

Go into the 325s settings and check the "iTunes Server" box.

Double check all the files are on the 325. At this point I deleted the library off itunes and deleted the files off my Mac / PC

Go to iTunes > Preferences > Advanced > then navigate to the relevent media folder on the Nas, eg \\NSA325\music\itunes music

Leave the Keep iTunes Media Folder Organized option enabled.

I think after this I went File > Add Folder to Library > NSA325\Music\itunes music

It should now work away adding the Library to your Mac / PC, with the files staying on the NAS. (Took about 8hrs)

And yes, it should automatically place any new rips onto the NSA325 from now on.

Have a google first tho. I'm writing this from work with limited memory!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom