Question About wiring 2 subs to L and R

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by SteffMarinov, Jun 16, 2015.

1. SteffMarinov

SteffMarinov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Hi guys,

first apologies if this has been already discussed - couldn't find any recent thread about it.

Has anyone tried to do the following: Instead of having the sub run off the dedicated .1 channel, what about setting the pre/pro to "no sub", making it down mix the LFE to the mains. Then, using something like a miniDsp (which I have), with 2 ins and 4 outs, connecting the subs and main L and R to it, crossing over at let's say 80, or 100 or 120 - whatever sounds better.

I think this way the system will benefit from creating a stereo image in the low frequencies too, whenever there's stereo sound coming in - let's say a movie score, and will still play the LFE mono as it will be down mixed to L and R as a mono signal.
    Also for listening to CD - I have balanced reference CD input on my Sherbourn and I'd like to use it as one - on bypass mode, but then I'm losing the lowest lows, unless I switch to stereo, which unfortunately changes a bit the stereo image and it doesn't sound as clear.

Negatives...? Cant think of any - the LFE is still LFE, unless something is lost in the process of down mixing it to the LR? Am I missing something?

Any comments appreciated :).

Steff

2. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Hi Steff!

I understand what your trying to do but i'd ask why? Is it because your stereo imaging is off! Once a sub/s are setup correctly then they should sound and feel as if they are apart of the LCR main speakers , and give weight to the rear channels too.................But you already know this.:)

3. SteffMarinov

SteffMarinov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Well I wouldn't say that my subs are set up correctly, I haven't played much with REW for the simple season that I only have temporary drivers in them and they aren't what they should be. The imaging in stereo mode isn't bad, but I do notice a difference when switching between stereo and bypass. I just thought this particular way of setting up will actually improve the imaging. Mind you, with the Nakamichi pre the difference between stereo and bypass was huge, probably because I didn't play too much with the peq back then and I don't think I had my old SVS sub properly integrated.

I was just wondering if anyone has done it and how does stereo sub signal affects the whole sound...

As for the surrounds, when they are cut below let's say 80 Hz, the low signal is routed to the sub. But what happens when the system is set to "no sub"? Is it re-routed to the mains (set to Large), or it's lost? Because I think if all the sub 80Hz signal goes to the mains, then my suggested way of wiring will benefit from more stereo imaging and there'll be no sound loss...? Or I'm missing something?

I might just wire them that way and have them running for a week or two to see if I'll hear or feel any difference.

4. SteffMarinov

SteffMarinov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I agree with that, however in my living room I can only have the subs in the two corners, and mains are between them. Which means I get the stereo signal from the mains but then I have the subs wider than L and R and they play mono signal. I think that messes it up a bit.
    As opposed to your setup where you have the subs between the mains.

5. SteffMarinov

SteffMarinov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
  6. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    I think you issue maybe down to your subs being in each corner! Can you try them the other way around so there on the inside.

7. SteffMarinov

SteffMarinov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Will try to - the wall I have them on has a deeper space in each corner - about a foot deep and 3 wide, because of the useless fireplace in the middle of the wall, so thats where the subs fit at the moment, but I guess I'll try to put them on the inside and see if my girlfriend will notice lol... I might get away with it. Oh, will have to buy new speaker cable too as my current one won't be long enough... Dammit mojo you should have warned me when I walked into your house that this is an expensive hobby :D