1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About Urotsukidoji R, I am Confused...

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Andron, Jun 16, 2001.

1. Andron

Andron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi !

I am about to buy Urotsukidoji: The Perfect Collection on R1. But then I discovered Urotsukidoji Saga: Hell on Earth R1. I noticed that Perfect is 250 min. and Saga 540 min. So I think Saga is the whole series from 1-4. But i could not find any info on the web about what Perfect consists of. Does anybody know ?

Andron

2. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Andron

Welcome to the forum! :)

I can clarify Urotsukidoji The Perfect Collection (Legend Of The Overfiend) for you.I own the Laser Disc version of it. The Perfect collection came in five parts as follows
    Part 1 Birth of the Overfiend
    Part 2 Curse of the overfiend
    Part 3 Final Inferno
    Part 4 Legend of the demon womb
    Part 5 Battle at the shinjuku skyscrapers

The total time (At least on LD) is 238min.
    The collection was issued on LD in 1994 by Laser Disc Entertainment California.

I hope this info helps :)

Del :)

3. Andron

Andron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying !

But it doesn't completly clarify the matter for me. :confused:
    I now know what the Perfet Coll. is, but what is Urotsukidoji Saga: Hell on Earth ? Since it's running time is 540(or something) min., does it consist of Perfect and additional films in the series, or... ?

Andron :cool:

4. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Andron

<<But i could not find any info on the web about what Perfect consists of. Does anybody know ?>>

Sorry, I thought you were asking what the Perfect Collection consists of? :(

IRO of Hell On Earth, I have no idea. I'm sure someone on this forum can help you.

Del :)

5. Andron

Andron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ;) Yeah Thanks.

I was wondering about both what Perfect consisted of, and what Saga possibly could be. So you helped me the first step of the way, I just didn't make it clear in the original post. And sorry for using the wrong face !
    :D

So to anybody else reading this: Do you know what Urotsukidoji Saga: Hell on Earth R1 DVD consists of ?

[ 17-06-2001: Message edited by: Andron ]

6. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +853
    The Perfect collection DVd set is Legend Of The Overfiend and Legend Of The Demon Womb with an additional 54 minutes of unseen footage, in Jap with subs.
    The expensive set is all 5 of the parts but dubbed in English. I'm not sure if it includes the extra footage that's in the perfect collection though

a search on "urotsukidoji" at www.lasersedge.com will answer all your questions regarding what's what.

[ 17-06-2001: Message edited by: Rambo John J ]

7. European

European

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...allow me to add some more confusion... please!...
    http://www.mrqe.com/lookup?urotsukidoji

...the above concerns the two theatrical releases - I think...

then there are the made-for-video releases - I guess... http://us.imdb.com/Title?0108464
    (only one of many!...)

(thinks) ...how anyone can sit through literally hours and hours of this stuff shall always - but probably not unfortunately, nor regrettably - remain a secret to me...

. . . :D . . .

[ 17-06-2001: Message edited by: European ]

[ 17-06-2001: Message edited by: European ]

8. Andron

Andron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the above input and suggestions.

:D

Now I should be able to get my curiosity satisfied.

And about how someone can sit through hours of this kind of anime, I think it is OK to watch it once in awhile just because it's one of a kind. And take it in small doses !
    ;)

9. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    HI,

Well, this question is a doddle, and hopefully this will make things really easy for everyone!

There are 4 Urotsukidoji movies, which are as follows:

Urotsukidoji: Legend Of The Overfiend
    Urotsukidoji: Legend Of The Demon Womb
    Urotsukidoji III: Return Of The Overfiend
    Urotsukidoji IV: Infernal Road (or Inferno Road)

Part 1 and Part 2 were released in Japan in 5 individual episodes, running about 45 minutes each. They were then re-edited by the Japanese, for Worldwide release, as 2 individual movies: Legend Of The Overfiend and Legend Of The Demon Womb respectively. These two re-edited movies ran for 108 and 88 minutes respectively.

Now comes the tricky part!

When Anime 18 released the recut editions of Parts 1 and 2, they added in an extra 54 minutes of footage. This made their combination DVD release (entitled The Perfect Collection) run for 4hrs and 10 minutes. "The Perfect Collection" simply contains Urotsukidoji: Legend Of The Overfiend, and Legend of The Demon Womb, plus the extra material, in their subtitled, uncensored glory.

With regards to Movies III and IV, in the UK, movie III lasts about 150 minutes. And number 4 is banned, although a weird UK release of IV was released, containing Episodes 1 and 2 in still-art form, plus Episode 3, in normal animation form! Either way, it's heavily censored, so avoid at all costs.

Finally, Anime 18 released "Hell On Earth": This contains all 4 films, but NOT the 54 mintues of extra footage, contained in the "Perfect Collection"!
    Therefore, to obtain the entire Urotsukidoji story, in an as complete and uncensored format as is possible, you need to purchase:

1) Urotsukidoji: The Perfect Collection
    2) Urotsukidoji III: Return Of The Overfiend
    3) Urotsukidoji IV: Inferno Road

Finally, just to screw-up things even more, "The Perfect Collection" is subtitled only, and Movies III and IV are dubbed in English or Japanese-audio only! Netierh have subtitles in English, which is a real pity.

Having said all of this, I can't confirm or deny if the "Hell On Earth" collection contains subtitled or dubbed versions of all the movies! Most sites say it is either subtitled in English, or has Subtitles, but I have yet to find ANY site that can give me a 100% accurate reply. Even Anime 18 haven't responded yet....!

I hope this helps!

Pooch

10. Andron

Andron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank You Very Much !! :D

I guess I have got it all handed to me on a silver disc... ;-)
    This last reply really cleared up my confusion, so thank you greatly for that. It can't be much more to say on the subject now, after that informative post. I certainly got the info. I was looking for...

So thank you all who posted replies here. You all helped.