About to upgrade to SKY HD, any advice on what brand of box to get, any other tips?

tony brazao

Established Member
Reaction score
We've got bog standard Sky at the moment.

I'm about to sign to Sky HD, I'd appreciate any hints tips or advice you may be able to offer.

Can I specifiy what box I want? Is Pace, Amstrad or Samsung best?

Would it be possible to move our existing box upstairs without paying multiroom, if we signed to Sky HD?

Would it be possible to move our existing box upstairs without paying multiroom, if we signed to Sky HD?

Yes, but you'll only the get free stuff if you don't pay for multiroom (or take out a second Sky TV subscription). And you may have to slip the installer a tenner or so to run the cable(s) for you from the dish to whichever bedroom you are planning on putting your existing Sky box in. Once it is in place you can of course take the card from the Sky HD box downstairs and put it in the Sky box upstairs for all channels except the premium (and high definition) ones.

Can I specifiy what box I want? Is Pace, Amstrad or Samsung best?

Not sure if you can request a specific box - may just be whichever box the installer brings with him on the day. For info tho - we have a Samsung box and are pretty pleased with it.

I've had the occasional freeze when we turn the box on after we've returned home from work (picture is fine but the box doesn't repsond to any button or remote presses) but apart from that - everything is fine.

Update - quote from another thread:

I had HD fitted on Saturday. The guy rang me before install and i asked what box i'd be getting as i was concerned about getting an Amstrad.

The guy offered me any box i wanted because it turns out i live right next to the holding depot for my area. Any box other than Pace that is as there wasnt any. The guy reccomended Samsung without and said they where easily the best. So Sammy it was.

Last edited:
The guy offered me any box i wanted because it turns out i live right next to the holding depot for my area. Any box other than Pace that is as there wasnt any. The guy reccomended Samsung without and said they where easily the best. So Sammy it was.[/B]

The Sky chap who visited us ( it would appear he'd been in the game for a number of years), commented that they were all pretty much equal, and without question, each and every one of them was built down to a price.

I would say that apart from the sluggishness of our previous Thomson, the actual picture quality is no better or worse that the Pace that replaced it.

It will remain to be seen whether the Pace goes into the same downward spiral that the Thomson did. All good so far though!

Just booked it in now, the Sky man will be with me Friday.

Got it for £29.00 with free set up and install. I was told it should have cost £50 for the box and another £30 set up. :thumbsup:

Just booked it in now, the Sky man will be with me Friday.

Got it for £29.00 with free set up and install. I was told it should have cost £50 for the box and another £30 set up. :thumbsup:

how did you get for £29 and free install . i am about to order any tips if i could get free install that would do . ihave been with sky for years i have sky + at the moment. rang them sunday they would not move on £49 for box and £30 install

how did you get for £29 and free install . i am about to order any tips if i could get free install that would do . ihave been with sky for years i have sky + at the moment. rang them sunday they would not move on £49 for box and £30 install

+1, my dad is about to upgrade and would great to pass on some info to him to help him get it cheaper.

Call this number: 08442 410 623 and select option for disconections.

I said I was thinking about going onto Free view HD. The first two times I called I got no offers at all. So I ended the call.

You have to keep calling, there is no obvious reason but they have offers available sometimes, it's pot luck. Just keep hanging up and re-dial :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom