• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

About to take the Virgin plunge...

Broosta

I'm about to sign up with virgin for phone, tv and broadband, and the current deal on offer is 1st 6 months half price.
I've also seen quidco has a cashback deal on but it seems a bit vague on details saying the amount depends on the virgin deal but it seems like its up to £76 cashback.

I have heard of people haggling on the sign up over the phone to get additional discounts but if this were to happen the quidco cashback would not happen as the quidco deal is locked to internet sign up only.

So is there a kind of known target to aim for when calling them up to haggle?

I'm aiming for the 100mb internet, smallest tv and biggest phone package, if that makes any difference.

IrritatedBadger

Distinguished Member
Broosta said:
I'm about to sign up with virgin for phone, tv and broadband, and the current deal on offer is 1st 6 months half price.
I've also seen quidco has a cashback deal on but it seems a bit vague on details saying the amount depends on the virgin deal but it seems like its up to £76 cashback.

I have heard of people haggling on the sign up over the phone to get additional discounts but if this were to happen the quidco cashback would not happen as the quidco deal is locked to internet sign up only.

So is there a kind of known target to aim for when calling them up to haggle?

I'm aiming for the 100mb internet, smallest tv and biggest phone package, if that makes any difference.

The only way you're going to find out is if you phone them. You can't take someone word that virgin will offer you this and this for the same price so just ring them. :)

Broosta

Well actually I think it is possible to get the same deal as somebody else if I keep phoning enough times until I get the right sales person. But obviously I need to know what the deal is first, before I become persistent! :)

IrritatedBadger

Distinguished Member
Well actually I think it is possible to get the same deal as somebody else if I keep phoning enough times until I get the right sales person. But obviously I need to know what the deal is first, before I become persistent! :)

Well seeing as most of them will be loyalty discounts for being with them for a long time it's pretty pointless. Just phone and pressure. ;)

Broosta

I've sorted it all out now. In the end I just went for the quidco deal online. I did speak to virgin but they didn't want to haggle saying they are already offering a good deal at 6 months half price.
New virgin 100mb line will be installed on the 25th.

StuBFrost

I've sorted it all out now. In the end I just went for the quidco deal online. I did speak to virgin but they didn't want to haggle saying they are already offering a good deal at 6 months half price.

Did you have to pay the installation charge ?

Germinator

your speeds will be spot on in the morning, but once 4pm comes they will drop a lot. I went from having 101mbps in the morning to an average 34mbps come 4pm and it was like that until roughly 1am the next morning.

Broosta

your speeds will be spot on in the morning, but once 4pm comes they will drop a lot. I went from having 101mbps in the morning to an average 34mbps come 4pm and it was like that until roughly 1am the next morning.

Yeah that's quite a reduction. But still more than twice my current speed with sky non fibre.
I've heard the speeds vary due to contention so I might be better off as I think :)lease:) there aren't that many others on virgin near me.

Germinator

Yeah that's quite a reduction. But still more than twice my current speed with sky non fibre.
I've heard the speeds vary due to contention so I might be better off as I think :)lease:) there aren't that many others on virgin near me.

Its down to a poor network and traffic management.

carl.waring

your speeds will be spot on in the morning, but once 4pm comes they will drop a lot.
Correction. They "may drop like a stone". Like all Broadband services it is billed as "up to". However, consistently low speeds should be reported and investigated.

I've heard the speeds vary due to contention so I might be better off as I think there aren't that many others on virgin near me.
If there's not many others in your area on VM (which I actually doubt anyway :)) then you won't have any contention issues, will you? ;)

Its down to a poor network and traffic management.
Consistently low speeds are not related to traffic management at all.

Just thought I'd add this for balance :)

http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2012/08/15/network-upgrades-boost-average-broadband-speeds/
Of the 12 ISP packages included in the report, Virgin Media's ‘up to' 100Mbit/s service was the fastest, with the research revealing average actual speeds of 88.3Mbit/s over a 24 hour period.

Of the other superfast packages included in the research, the average download speed on BT Infinity's ‘up to' 76Mbit/s service was 58.5Mbit/s, compared with Virgin Media's ‘up to' 60Mbit/s at 55.9Mbit/s. BT's ‘up to' 38MBit/s package achieved speeds of 32.2Mbit/s whilst Virgin Media's ‘up to' 30Mbit/s service had average speeds of 30.1Mbit/s.

During busy peak periods, a higher proportion of Virgin Media cable customers experienced speeds of less than 90% of their average maximum speed, compared to BT Infinity fibre customers.

Last edited:

Broosta

OK just had it all installed.

TV - whatever... not really fussed about it, don't watch tv much, basic pack seems to work ok.

Phone - yep, works.

Internet - initially not overly impressed at 74meg. Then took some more speed tests and was distinctly unhappy with a load of 16 meg results, but then I looked closer at the results and realised they were from different servers and then when I saw consistent trends I was happy to use Milton Keynes' server which is sitting at around the 100 meg mark, on a bank holiday saturday lunchtime.
So yeah I'm impressed!:thumbsup:

Zoom7000

Novice Member
I've signed up today for the Broadband & Phone package with the Quidco cashback deal. Went for 60Mb, as it worked out cheaper than my current deal on BE/BT. Was paying £18.26/Month to BE and averaging about 10Mbps, and £14.60/Month to BT and we only ever use the phone for receiving calls. I was initially worried about traffic management as I'm a heavy downloader, but even if they throttle my speed, I'll still be on ~30Mb, which is 3 times what I was on with BE. The only thing worrying me is the horror stories about the SuperHub, but I'm happy to give it a go and if I run in to issues, will go for a separate router to compliment it.

Broosta

Yeah I'm seeing some odd activity with the wifi, as almost expected from hearing SuperHub horror stories. But I live in a house built in 1894 - sturdy you could say, so wifi struggles here anyway and I have most things hard wired and so far the SuperHub has been flawless as a wired router.

I'm yet to get to grips with all the tricks to maximise the torrenting side of things. I've just tried uTorrent and not sure how best to set it up. I've been used to using seedboxes with Deluge and know how to set that up for maximum speeds, might try Deluge at home maybe as I'm not maxing anything out so far. Might be something to do with the peering - with seedboxes I always try to go for leaseweb linked seedboxes/vps in the Evoswitch data centre as they work the best for my trackers.

matt1

Standard Member

Similar story for me. I've got the 30mb connection but drops to around 5-7mb at peak times, worst case scenario, for just me it's adequate.

Broosta

Instead of torrenting why not look at using virgin`s newsgroups(only 20 days retention though)
Well, suppose I could look into it. I have very little idea what that even is - usenet type thing?
Does it cost anything?
What can it provide?

I'm just used to bit torrent, been using it for years. I eventually joined some top private trackers which means I can find anything I want with several terrabytes of buffer in my accounts meaning I can hit and run now safely.
On torrents in these trackers I used to max out my sky 15mbit/sec connection, I maxed out various seedbox/vps connections at over 800mbit/sec, just tinkering to try max out my virgin 100mbit/sec connection now.

Broosta

Ok just read up on some stuff -

virgin newsgroup = usenet
virgin newsgroup = free
virgin newsgroup = provides everything usenet provides.

Problem is it gets throttled when you hit certain triggers and the throttling is more than 50% speed. Details on this are vague, but its in addition to the volume STM and has harsher throttling.
5pm - midnight = p2p/usnet throttling.

Bit torrent is also throttled same as usenet. So to only be throttled for exceeding download amount limits and not also p2p/usnet traffic I need to use a VPN.

VPN = $6/month.
Cheapest seedbox worth having = much more than $6/month

VPN wins.

Which VPN should I get?

Broosta

Ok I've been tinkering with the settings of the superhub and uTorrent, and now it will max out the connection at 11MB/s on torrents (tested it on a 18GB tv pack on Ipt). Sweet!

I just forwarded the utorrent port, turned off the superhub firewall, changed a few numbers in the connection box in utorrent, kept the encryption on and off she went!

Wifi is still ***** though, and I'll have to get another router in time but I'm happy for now.:)

Just need to take notice of the restricted times and keep an eye on the torrent speeds to see if I'm being throttled and then if so maybe get a vpn. But as I said I'm happy for now.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom