1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

about to take the SVS plunge

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by karkus30, Jun 5, 2004.

1. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Im about ready (finances in place) to purchase an SVS subwoofer, just has to be an Ultra...............but............and heres the thing........I cant find any reviews in What HiFi ?.......can they really be any good ? ;)

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    What hifi wouldnt do any reviews of an SVS as they would have to give up on the idea of Rel being the superlative subwoofer :D Also as SVS only sell directly you will most likely not find any reviews except from owners. There are loads of people on here with them so you should get some advice soon :smashin:

3. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I wouldn't hold that against their subs. Apart from ignorance it is likely that commercial interests are involved. The market and magazines are still very much focused on the old way of doing things, and ordering a subwoofer from the U.S. doesn't belong in that picture.

If you fully realise what you take into your home (size & color, low bass, high SPL) you cannot go wrong. At worst you might need an equalizer (BFD or other) if you cannot find a good enough placement to reduce room-effects (boom) to a minimum.

Don't underestimate the visual impact this huge beast might have on your listening room. I currently am trying to find a way to 'hide' my PB2+, without loosing a reasonably flat (frequency) response. An additional problem I have is that my old small sub (Yamaha SW800) looks so much better, and fits right in at the ideal spot. :(

ps: In below picture you see both my old sub at its ideal spot, and the 'hidden' PB2+ in corner placement.

Attached Files:

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    ~Kev H~, ailean, amordue, antz, avanzato, Baggy, BazH, BLACK_MAGIC, BlueNote39, Bogi, Bone Daddy, chris, chrisgeary, Dave Gray, Digger, Dutch, esta56, Ettepet, Garmtz, gonzo, grubling, hazard, Ian J, jag77, Jeff, Ken Long, Kevin Harris, lmccauley, mandril, Mark Ward, mconn, MickB, MrT, mrxfilms, naturally, NIMBY, Noman, OldEngland, Parmenion, philmate, Pollywoggle, ridd, rOAdeh, Rob.Screene, sea surfer, Sessen Ryu, simonthepieman, slyborg, Smurfin, sneaky, Steve Bate, tan 1415, t-force, t-force, Thunder, tk2001, Toekiller, vvrinne and wolfeh can't all be wrong surely :D

5. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I guess the Dutch dont do sarcasm :hiya:

6. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    You've made all those names up Ian, nobody has names like that :D a

7. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Hes very convincing though aint he?? :rotfl:

8. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Ettepet

Tidy up your toys!

Nimby :D

9. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    You don't have to have a stupid name to buy an svs but it helps.

10. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I thought the Yammy makes a good coffee table. :rotfl:

11. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Karkus30 ill give you MY honest opinion here. I seem to be spending more and more time at local hifi shops just listerning to high end setups of all sorts for music and homecinema. I've heard subs from many many different makes and prices from £300 well up to the higher thousands. I have honestly not yet heard ANY sub of any make that betters the SVS that I own (the 20-39PC+). Quite frankley if i had heard a better sub then I would own it. Considering I've heard subs up to the value of £3000 and I've no doubt what so ever in my mind the sub i own is the best one. This goes for movies and music.
    Im not like most on here who are very knowledgeable about the ins and outs of hifi (some times i just get confused just trying to plug everything in), but one thing that I do know is I know what sounds good.
    I would recommend a SVS to anyone who has the budget to get one either for music or homecinema.
    The only part of my personal systems that I've never even considered upgrading is the SVS unless its for a better SVS or maybe even a second one :):)

12. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Ian didn't fool me for a moment. He listed t-force twice just to try and make the numbers look more impressive! :devil:

And who's this NIMBY character? I've never heard of him :cool:

:clown:

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I must admit that I have heard subs that are better than my SVS 20-39 PC Plus as the Velodyne HGS-18 and M&K MX-??? were a little deeper, a little tighter and a lot more expensive than mine but I don't think that Karkus will be the slightest bit unhappy as the PC Ultra is even better than the PC Plus range yet still priced competitively to anything else available via traditional dealer outlets.

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    But I only listed Esta56 once and he has a matching pair of PB2 Pluses. I'm just glad that I don't live near him.

15. Dave Gray

Dave Gray
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Karkus,
    Here's my very quick review.
    The best money I've ever spent!
    I bought mine blindly after reading all the comments here and some of the US forums. The subsonics are amazing, you feel and hear bass you did not know was there. Films become religious experiences! For music its very fast and deep. I do a lot of DJing and none of my previous subs could keep up with the House and Techno I play and listen to but this one can.
    I could'nt say how much better than a Plus model it is or not, but at least I won't be getting upgraditis now. The PC-Ultra is simply stunning! :thumbsup:

16. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Barry from Tag Mclaren came round to hear mine and he has been all over the UK and europe TMREQ'ing peoples very high end systems. He's heard MK MX350's, MX5000's, B&W 850's and many more. But when we watched the opening battle in master and commander he said he had never heard or fealt anything like it!

17. Maki

Maki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi, try taking a look at www.ecoustics.com. They have reviews on SVS subs and a whole lot more. You could spend all night just browsing!

18. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Karkus

I too was worried, however I took the plung and have never regretted. And mind you, I only got the "midget" the 25-31PC+ that I've tuned to 20Hz, which in my position "only" give me a clean output of 112-115dB extending down to 17-19Hz. In truth, sounds bloody fabulous. With the TMREQ engaged, it's even better.

Every now and then I get a piece of equipment that sort of gives me a peace of mind. My SVS is one of those.

Cheers.

19. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Its done. Fait accompli. Ultra is on its way.

20. BazH

BazH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Worth every penny - and then some :smoke:

21. Dave Gray

Dave Gray
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :devil: Welcome to the club Karkus. You are gonna be one happy fella! (Dunno about your neighbours though!!!)

22. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Dave, Ive just noticed you have the same 2 sub combo as me. Are you using the 2500 to fill in a frequency dip?

23. Dave Gray

Dave Gray
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jeff,
    I'm still playing and tweaking. I love the old B&W sub and am a bit loathe to sell it! I havn't yet got to do my graph and tweak the parametric EQ (Fear of maths & spreadsheets!!!) but using the freq sweep on AVIA & DVE I hear some harmonics that need to be sorted.
    The layout of my small bedroom with the bed in the middle against the back wall, I have not really got any room at the front for subs, so I have one either side of my bed behind me!!! I know bass is supposed to be non directional but the B&W one side and SVS the other gives a better balance.
    When i do my EQ graph I let you know if I get the same sort of dip!

Regards,
    Dave :thumbsup:

24. Skyline

Skyline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just ordered PC Ultra yesterday, an upgrade to my 16-46PCi that I traded in for other audio gear. Even the PCi is amazing despite the lack of reference level SPL in my room. Can't wait to hear and FEEL what the PCU will do.

Money well spent like said numerous times already.