1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About to take the plasma plunge

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by gadgetman, Jun 8, 2004.

1. gadgetman

gadgetman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Okay I`m nearly there just need one last push to make the purchase of a plasma. The models in question are
    Panasonic TH42PW6B 42
    Panasonic TH4230 or finally
    Pioneer PDP434HDE
    I have read a lot about these screens and could be pushed to any of these. I like the idea of the Panny TH4230 as it is an all in solution and wife friendly. Only downside so far is the lack of HDMI but is this really such a loss and the slightly extra deepness of it.
    I love the luck of the Panny TH42PW6B but get confused with all the talk of plugins and switchers etc altough could go for one with a tuner box I suppose then am I right in thinking difference to above is the HDMI input but again is this that the be all an end all or for the future.
    Last on the list which is a little more expensive is the Pioneer PDP434HDE which looks to have it all. That is my dilema except the one last thing of a possible 5 year warranty from J Lewis.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Pe30 would put me off with it being limited on inputs (apparently it cant take a 720p signal- not important at first but if you decided you wanted a better picture, things like this limit your choices). I do have the PWD6 screen and can vouch for it being very good (except silly non discrete power on and off on the remote! :mad: ). However you rightly see it as being more commercial, but this shouldnt put you off as in reality it is quite simple to get it working just as family friendly as the others. The pioneer is of course ideal if you just want a plasma that works like a tv..... but the cost. If you can afford it, it is a real beauty of a machine and sounds like this is ideal for you (and sounds like you want it most too!). If not, i would look to the TH42PW6B and we'll sort you out for what you need with it. You should note that it doesnt do hdmi either, only dvi and that is limited in what it can handle (this is a general trait of plasmas).

May I ask what sources you would intend to use?

Ad

3. gadgetman

gadgetman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    In all honestly just standard dvd viewing. Watching sky, console gaming and maybe the possibility of a pc input so nothing out of the normal. I fI went for the TH42PW6B what connections do i go for as I get lost with bnc and all the other sort of connections.

4. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,349
    Do what I did....buy the PW6 with the component board, then use your amp to switch sources. For Sky use an RGB -> Component converter.

The only downside is that on most amps you can only switch a couple of sources, though most of the flagship amps/processors now come with component switching for at least 3 sep sources. Currently I don't use mine for Sky, so I use my receiver to switch between DVD and my modded X-box:)

Soul Calibur II looks awesome in 720p on the plasma :)

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Of course that is assuming that Gadgetman is using an amp.

What connections do your dvd, sky and console use? Im not sure, but if you didnt follow the route Matt suggests, one of the dual input boards with component, composite and svideo may be ideal.

Ad